Failed to read USB? no Verr File? Wacom Tablet Issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
abstruseoni
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win XP

Failed to read USB? no Verr File? Wacom Tablet Issue

Post by abstruseoni »

I've looked up several things and can't find an answer.. i was using VBox2.1 and it took me forever to get my wacom tablet working, but i finally did...then i upgraded to Vbox2.2, and now my tablet doesn't work again (it works like a mouse, but no pressure sensitivity, so it's not being detected as a tablet). and whenever i open my VBox settings, it says:

"Failed to Read USB Subsystem

could not load the USB proxy Service.
(VERR_FILE NOT FOUND) The service might not be installed on the host computer"

I've installed and unistalled my tablet multiple times, updated the drivers, tried turning off the USB in the settings, and adding a new blank filter, and the tablet doesn't show up in the Add USB Filter list, AND i still get that error. i've even tried installing the tablet on my virtual machine. I can't think of anything else apparent to try, and i've looked at countless forums trying to find an answer. my head is on the verge of a meltdown...can anyone help?

Thank you in advance,
Ryan
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Failed to read USB? no Verr File? Wacom Tablet Issue

Post by Perryg »

Try to Use a blank filter (.) and then boot the guest. Unplug the USB device and plug it back in to get focus and it should appear in the guest. Then if needed reinstall the program software. If you are also using a mouse you should try to put it on the PS2 port of the PC if you can. They make adapters for this and then your usb will be just devices that you insert.

I finally got tired of all the hassle and put my keyboard and mouse both on PS2 ports and have not had any further problems.
abstruseoni

Post by abstruseoni »

thanks for the response perry, but it didn't fix my problem. that was actually the first thing i tried because that's what worked on version 2.1, but ever since i upgraded and got that error, whenever i plug in the wacom tablet i hear the usb sound for my host but not a second one for the guest. i went ahead tested it though...i uninstalled my tablet, then restarted, installed the tablet, ran my VM, plugged in the tablet, and got nothing... when i click on the USB icon in the bottom right of the VM window, it says "no usb devices detected". ...even though i have a usb mouse and haven't had one issue with it =/
abstruseoni

Post by abstruseoni »

FIXED! ...err not.. i tried to upgrade to 2.2.4, but it failed. tried to install the current 2.2.2, and if failed. tried to install 2.2.1, failed...tried to repair it...failed....tried to uninstall virtual box, failed! ...by this point i assumed the installation was corrrupt somehow even though it seemed to run fine. well i found a forum saying to open regedit and alter a file in a HKEY folder (sry, i don't have the link) and you'll be able to uninstall it. I did, and it worked. after that, i could install 2.2.4 and like i guessed, i no longer have the "VERR_File not found" error. ...HOWEVER, I started this to try and get my wacom tablet to work, which it STILL doesn't...

...I've got the latest drivers for my graphire2 on my host machine and have tried adding the "blank filter" and "wacom filter", starting the VM, unplugin and plugin it to try and get it to work. i've tried turning off mouse intergration... any suggestions?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Only thing that I can tell you is not all USB devices work in a Windows guest. I would suggest that you fill out a bug report and let the Dev's work it out for you if they can. I know it is possible because I have read about it here, but I also know that it fails upon updates as yours has. Bugtracker link is below my post and you will need to fill out another login with them. DO NOT forget to send them the VBox log File, they are strict about that.
abstruseoni

Post by abstruseoni »

If I submit a ticket, i'm basically giving up hope and waiting for virtualbox's next update to fix my problem. No offense to them, but the last few times i've upgraded, it's given me more problems. I had the tablet working with version 1.4 AND 2.2.1, and (as you said) multilple people have had wacom tablet issues, and multiple forum posts have been made regarding it. therefore, there's a good chance tickets for this issue have already been made, and i'm pretty sure people have found some solutions...but, i'm not 100% sure...soooo..

...if you're reading this, and you have a Graphire Wacom Tablet that works in your Virtual Machine with Pressure Sensitivty....AND you have WinXP SP3 on your host....AAAAAND WinXP on your Virtual Machine......AAAAAAANNNNNNNNNDDDDDD you're using the newest version of virtual box (2.2.4) then PLEASE take a moment and let me know. because as a graphic artist, my tablet is my best friend...and i miss my friend... lol...see, i am going nutz... but seriously, I'm still tryin to figure it out and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. Even though i've tried several variations of set-ups...i'm not positive how virtualbox intended for it to work. ...are you suppose to only have it on your host, and have the USB wacom filter turned on?
whit
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04

Post by whit »

Just upgraded on a Win7 Eee netbook, to 3.2.6 r63122, and have a similar problem now with VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. Specifically:

Code: Select all

Cannot load GC module C:
\PROGRA~\Oracle\VIRTUA~1/VMMGC.gc
(VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)

Details

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}
Is there a way to revert to a prior VirtualBox version? This is not a happy result, for a machine I use daily.

More info: In checking the Settings, I also get:

Code: Select all

VIrtualBox - Warning

Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might not be installed on the host computer.

Details

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x00004005)
Component: Host
Interface: IHost {35b004f4-7806-4009-bfa8-d1308adba7e5}
Did something not install correctly? Is there a "Reinstall" option somewhere?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You can install VirtualBox again and select repair, or you can uninstall using the control panel and then install it again. Your Virtual Machines will not be removed, but as always I tell everyone to backup their VMs. Especially if you are using snapshots.
saberman
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 7, 8.1, 10

Post by saberman »

Perryg wrote:Only thing that I can tell you is not all USB devices work in a Windows guest. I would suggest that you fill out a bug report and let the Dev's work it out for you if they can. I know it is possible because I have read about it here, but I also know that it fails upon updates as yours has. Bugtracker link is below my post and you will need to fill out another login with them. DO NOT forget to send them the VBox log File, they are strict about that.
This bug was reported four weeks ago: Bug 6986
whit
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04

Post by whit »

Perryg wrote:I tell everyone to backup their VMs. Especially if you are using snapshots.
Thanks, Perry. Apologies for this basic question, but precisely which files do I need to back up to be sure of having done that completely? I am using snapshots. The host is the only Windows system in my life, though, and I haven't fully analyzed how VB stores stuff on it.

I've added a post with link back to here from the bug report of four weeks ago. It looks like nobody's taken responsibility for the assignment yet though. Hopefully this isn't a sign of the project being less active under new management.

Update: I did a simple install of 3.2.0 (the May 18 release) over 3.2.6, without even removing 3.2.6 first, and that has fixed the problem for now. Downloaded 3.2.0 from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_3_2. But note despite this thread I'm not using a Wacom. However the touchpad on the Eee may be similar, for all I know.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

@whit,

Well at least you are up and running. Snap shots make things a lot harder, and delicate. If for example one of then becomes corrupt the entire VM will be hosed not just the one snap shot.
What I suggest (and this is me and a few others) is to use them very carefully and only when updating. Kind of like a system restore point in Windows. Then when you are satisfied that there are no problems delete them. This will merger then with the working copy and you will have one file again instead of 2,3,...

On a Windows host you can find them in your user profile and \.VirtualBox\VDI\*.vdi
The other files are in Machine and don't forget the VirtualBox.xml. So if you backup the entire .VirtualBox folder you should be fine, but with snap shots it will be big.
GeertVc
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 12.04

Post by GeertVc »

whit wrote:I've added a post with link back to here from the bug report of four weeks ago. It looks like nobody's taken responsibility for the assignment yet though. Hopefully this isn't a sign of the project being less active under new management.

Update: I did a simple install of 3.2.0 (the May 18 release) over 3.2.6, without even removing 3.2.6 first, and that has fixed the problem for now. Downloaded 3.2.0 from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_3_2. But note despite this thread I'm not using a Wacom. However the touchpad on the Eee may be similar, for all I know.
I had the same issue with the latest VirtualBox release (PUEL): 3.2.10.

I removed the installation using the VirtualBox installer (choosing "Remove", not "Repair") and then completely re-installed version 3.2.10.

After this re-installation (took quite some time...), I was able to use my USB devices again.

Maybe you can try out the same?
Best rgds,
--Geert