how do i get my ubuntu guest to find my usb ports?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
masterjimmy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: ubuntu 10.10

how do i get my ubuntu guest to find my usb ports?

Post by masterjimmy »

I'm running windows 7 ultimate host and ubuntu 10.10 guest on a compaq with a core2duo processor so hardware isn't the issue. My problem is I can't get the ubuntu guest to find my usb external hard drives. Is there a way to get it to just automatically do this like I got it working for my dvd drive?
tThere are 10 types of people in the world...Those who get the joke and those who don't.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: how do i get my ubuntu guest to find my usb ports?

Post by Perryg »

You can try to create a filter for it (in the guest settings) and have it available at boot time.
You will still need to mount it manually, or create an entry in the rc.local file to mount it (fstab will not work all the time since it is run before the VirtualBox drivers are loaded), or if you are running Gnome you can add a panel applet that you can click on and tell it to mount the drive (my preference). The reason that is my preference it yanking an external drive from the host can cause drive corruption.

You need to make sure that the host does not have it mounted when you take ownership or drive corruption will occur sooner or later.
masterjimmy

Post by masterjimmy »

Ok that bit of info just shot all sorts of holes in what I was plannig on doing. I was intending to use the usb drive as a bridge between the two systems for file transfer. On the split boot setup I was running before I could access video files and other stuff on the windows side cuz it showed up as a file system and I could pull files off the windows into linux then put them back and boot up windows and go. Is there a way to make the two systems show up as networked computers somehow so I can do this?
tThere are 10 types of people in the world...Those who get the joke and those who don't.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I suspect what you are wanting to do might be achieved by using RAW. See Chapter 9.7. Advanced storage configuration in your VirtualBox users guide.
BUT! Be sure to read all warnings as this too has its dangers if you don't do everything exactly right.
masterjimmy

Post by masterjimmy »

Does that mean I have to actually read a manual? What's the fun in that? You youngsters and ur manuals, when I was ur age we didn't have manuals! We clicked randomly untill it did what it was supposed to do and by god...oh sorry wrong board, I will check it out and see and get back to you. Worst case, I reinstall from scratch.
masterjimmy

Post by masterjimmy »

ok downloaded and read the manual...came to the decision that i dont need to do that because i prefer to have a working computer and i dont have a sufficient grasp of the concepts presented to even read the section. ok here is what im trying to do: i use acidrip on my linux side to rip my movies to my harddrive so i dont have to carry my discs. everything works on that end. what i want to do is to put them on my usb external so i dont have to take up any extra space on my harddrive and when i feel like watching them i can use one of the media players i have on the windows7 side. and i have an android fone and i found a good "itunes" type app for it but its a linux app. how can i safely get my ubuntu guest to access my external drive so i can save the movies and access my android so i can use the manager app? also i sometimes use the windows side to record my videoblog. i know i can drag and drop what i want to put on the linux side onto the harddrive from windows, but how do i safely get them from the external drive to the linux side to use my video editor for example? i can deal with right-click and then eject the disc so its not owned by either system but i need a straightforward procedure for this.