Ubuntu 10.10 guest freezes randomly

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
phw
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Vista, Debian, Ubuntu

Ubuntu 10.10 guest freezes randomly

Post by phw »

Hi,

I have a Ubuntu 10.10 desktop guest (64bit) running on VirtualBox 3.2.8 under Windows 7 (both also 64bit). The installation is an upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04, which ran without problem. Now with the new 10.10 the system freezes randomly. Sometimes it freezes during the boot process, sometimes during normal usage. When it freezes the UI completely stops responding despite the mouse cursor which can still be moved.

This happens both without and with guest additions (the OSE ones from the Ubuntu repo). And I don't get any error messages. Any ideas how I can get more information to narrow down the problem or what could cause the problem?

Thanks for any help
dmcgraw
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu 9.10

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 guest freezes randomly

Post by dmcgraw »

Ubuntu 10.10 was just released yesterday. You really need to give the devs time to test with it. It should most likely be supported in the next release of VB.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I have not experienced any random hangs while using Ubuntu 10.10 alpha through release. That said the maintenance release of VirtualBox 3.2.10 will happen sometime today.
ObsidianGT
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows XP

Post by ObsidianGT »

Thanks for posting this so quickly. I was also curious about Ubuntu 10.10.
Sterno
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by Sterno »

I had the same problem with 10.10. Additionally, could not get to fullscreen mode, even with the guest additions.

Just upgraded Virtualbox to the latest 3.2.10 version from today - all works fine with Win 7 64-bit host.

Cheers,
Sterno
phw
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows Vista, Debian, Ubuntu

Post by phw »

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to install VB 3.2.10 and see how it works. I will let you know about the result.
hanasaki

Post by hanasaki »

[quote="Perryg"]I have not experienced any random hangs while using Ubuntu 10.10 alpha through release. That said the maintenance release of VirtualBox 3.2.10 will happen sometime today.[/quote]

fedora 10 host 32 bit / 10.10 32bit guest / vbox 3.2.10 32bit (installed by .sh since the RPM's have failed to install on fedora 10 for quite sometime)
* guest random 100% freezes
* tty text flickers.
akats
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by akats »

I am afraid this problem still persists for me. I have i386 Ubuntu 10.10 on Win7 64-bit. This was originally Ubuntu 10.04, so I upgraded vbox first, and then upgraded Ubuntu via the update manager. I had trouble uninstalling the old guest additions and installing the new ones, but I was finally successful. I did not use the Maverick packages -- Installed from the ISO provided with PUEL.

At first, it was crashing literally every 10 minutes, but it's gotten a lot better after I installed the new Linux kernel (sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.35-22-generic). I haven't used it long enough to gauge how much better, but it is definitely a problem. First, it becomes slow at responding to keyboard and mouse strokes, and then within a minute it freezes completely and requires a hard restart. It's almost as if there is a memory leak somewhere.

Another related problem is that after I do a hard-restart of my computer because of this, it sometimes refuses to recognize extra display resolutions that guest additions provide. Sometimes this problem is resolved with one more restart, other times I have to uninstall and reinstall guest additions.

I suspect that my installation is "dirty" because I upgraded, and this is causing problems. I thought that this is because I installed and unskillfully removed the guest additions so many times, but now when I remove it and then search my computer for vbox* files, it only comes up with logs. I'll try a clean install of 10.10 as a new VM, but the VM I am using now is a production machine, and it will take me a lot of time to migrate to a new VM.

Is anyone else still having these problems? Could someone suggest settings I could check to make it work better on my end?

Thanks! Anatoliy
stechr
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux

Post by stechr »

Hi,

same problem here.
My guest is an Ubuntu 10.10 which has been updated from 10.04 and comes a long way down from a 9.x version. Host is a WinXP in this case.
Random freeze which usually are starting with:
- keyboard input get's slow / impossible
- disk write operations are failing (e.g. save in gedit)
In this stage it is still possible to e.g. create new terminals via gnome, to trigger shutdown etc., but shells come up with not working prompt and shutdown does not work at all.
I think I experience a notable delay of the system clock of the guest system (e.g. 20 min in two hours) and once the first stage of the problem is reached, the gnome clock does not get updated anymore.

Not sure how to debug this one - Suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

Stefan
cburton
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.10

Post by cburton »

Same exact issue for me as well... Running i386 Ubuntu Guest 10.10 on a i386 XP Host with VB 3.2.10.
skylvl
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by skylvl »

Same issue for me too
i386 Ubuntu 10.10 Guest on a W7 Host with 3.2.10
LittleGecko
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.10

Post by LittleGecko »

Hi,
I experience the same problem with Ubuntu 10.10 on a VB 3.2.10 on Snow Leopard. While I was transferring data via ssh, I got an error saying that the file system is read only (!). I tried to create a file in the home directory with vi, but I couldn't. At the same time, most of the GUI freezes, probably due to this file system problem. Moreover, I cannot reboot the system, and I have to come back to an earlier snapshot to use it again.

I hope a solution with show up quickly,
akats

Post by akats »

I ended up installing a fresh copy of Meerkat 64-bit. It was fine for a while, but then I gave it 8 processors(on my Core7 system). It doesn't give me quite the same level of problems that my dirty level of installation had, but I think I see performance degradation.

Has anyone else tried messing with the hardware settings of the VM to discover that it is worse than before?
stechr
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux

Post by stechr »

Update on my earlier post:
I decremented the number of virtual processor to 1. Since then the vm did not freeze anymore ( 14 hours uptime) This seems at least to mitigate if not even prevent the problem on my side but is actually no long term solution....
akats

Post by akats »

Confirmed -- it works with two processors on my Core i7, but not four. I submitted a bug report. Actually, I submitted three -- sorry! It kept telling me that I have no privileges while actually keeping the reports all the while.