Cant start VM after OS X crash

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Maboz
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Cant start VM after OS X crash

Post by Maboz »

OS X crashed and I had to power it down to restart, after that my Windows 7 VM wont start. I get this error message:

Resultatkod:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Komponent:
ProgressProxy
Gränssnitt:
IProgress {856aa038-853f-42e2-acf7-6e7b02dbe294}

Anyone know whats happened?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Cant start VM after OS X crash

Post by Perryg »

Sounds like the crash killed the VirtualBox.xml file. Restore from backup.
Or if you have no backup and do not have any snapshots you can create a new VM and attach the original VDI file instead of creating a new one.

Oh and look to see if there might be a VirtualBox.xml-prev file. If so rename it to VirtualBox.xml and see if it works.
Maboz
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Maboz »

Perryg wrote:Sounds like the crash killed the VirtualBox.xml file. Restore from backup.
Or if you have no backup and do not have any snapshots you can create a new VM and attach the original VDI file instead of creating a new one.

Oh and look to see if there might be a VirtualBox.xml-prev file. If so rename it to VirtualBox.xml and see if it works.
I had a virtualbox.xml-prev file, renamed it and voila! It worked! Thanks alot. :D
rpmurray
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

Maboz wrote:I had a virtualbox.xml-prev file, renamed it and voila! It worked! Thanks alot. :D
Might want to make a copy of it in case this happens again.
ptram

Post by ptram »

I had my Mac crash while VirtualBox was running, and now I see a "Running" label in the list of the virtual machines. I tried the "virtualbox.xml" replacement trick, but the status remains "Running". Is something I can do to let VB understand I had a crash, and try to restart the machine?

Paolo
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Try right clicking the guest and then click on discard or click once on the guest and at the top click Discard. This should discard the running state.
ptram

Post by ptram »

Hi Perry, the Discard command is greyed out, so I cannot select it. Maybe there is a way to force this command via the command line?

I also recovered an older .vdi from TimeMachine, but it doesn't work either. I replace all the .xml files too, but with no success: the VM remains in 'running' state.

When trying to run a new VM, using the same (recovered) .vdi file, I get the following errore message:

-----------
The virtual machine '[name]' has terminated unexpectedly during startup because of signal 6.
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Machine
IMachine {6d9212cb-a5c0-48b7-bbc1-3fa2ba2ee6d2}
-----------

I recovered the application and deleted the preferences, but nothing.

Also, I removed a new machine I just created, and now it is listed in the UI, but when I choose "Remove" it cannot remove it (since it can no longer find the folder I overwrote). Where are the machine list and status saved?

Paolo
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You can also try

Code: Select all

VBoxManage controlvm <uuid>|<name> acpipowerbutton
The rest of the CLI commands are located in Chapter 8.2. Commands overview in your VirtualBox users guide.
ptram

Post by ptram »

Thank you, Perry, but I'm still lost. I run this exact command:

VBoxManage controlvm MBP_Paolo_Win acpipowerbutton

where <MBP_Paolo_Win> is the name of the VM I want to turn off. I removed the <uuid> part (that I don't even know what is for).

The terminal only shows a copyrigt notice:

-----------
Oracle VM VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 3.2.8
(C) 2005-2010 Oracle Corporation
All rights reserved.
-----------

And nothing more. If I try to reinstall VirtualBox, the installer says the VM is still running. What am I doing wrong?

Paolo
ptram

Post by ptram »

SOLVED!
The right command was: VBoxManage controlvm MBP_Paolo_Win poweroff
I have the VM running perfectly, now.
THANK YOU!

Paolo
bhepdogg
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: CentOS

Post by bhepdogg »

Running Mac OS X 10.6.7 and Virtualbox 4.0.8 r71778

I got the same error message of signal 6. My OS X session crashed and after I logged back in I could not start the VM at all. It was in an aborted state. I figured since I just had a new X session started after the crash that it was the same as a reboot. Just for kicks, before trying any of the hints in this thread, I just rebooted the entire Mac. When it came back up, the VM was in a Powered Off state and no longer in an aborted state. The VM was able to successfully start. Maybe it is something that was fixed in the newer version of Virtualbox. I was glad to not have to mess with anything else.
bhamail

Post by bhamail »

FWIW, I just had a very similar sympton, and even a brand new VM refused to start, giving a "signal 6" error.

I found this post, and decided to just reboot the Mac, and now things are working - no more "signal 6" errors.

VBox 4.1.6

OSX 10.6.8

Mac Pro (intel xeon)
tresf

Post by tresf »

Rebooting host fixed this for me too.

This seems to happen after I remote into the Mac Mini. I believe it's related to hardware acceleration because the guest seems to be more responsive and respond better to compositioning when I'm not remoted in.

This is almost certainly a bug since powering the guest should allow it to reboot and choose the best settings again. I would assume a process or file gets locked when the hang occurs which is fixed by rebooting.
Ness

Post by Ness »

I have the same 'Signal 6' error. Rebooting worked for me also! Phew!
ThomasNilsson
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: win98, winxp, ubuntu

Post by ThomasNilsson »

For me, just restarting the VirtualBox application worked, after deleting the "stale" state. (MacOSX 10.9.4, VB 4.3.14)