USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 - Device Unknown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
asoundmove
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: w95, wXP, Ubuntu 10.04

USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 - Device Unknown

Post by asoundmove »

I have a Microtek ScanMaker X12USL scanner which works under a host Windows (XP) and host Linux (Ubuntu 10.04, 64bits).

However it fails to be recognised by an XP guest in VB 3.2.8 (PUEL) under my Ubuntu host (10.04, 64bits).

XP shows it as USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 although VB shows it as ¨Unknown device 05DA:20B0¨. The host system shows it as ¨05da:20b0 Microtek International, Inc. ScanMaker X12USL¨.

I also tried an Ubuntu 10.04 64bits and it shows the same as the host: ¨05da:20b0 Microtek International, Inc. ScanMaker X12USL¨.

I tried all sorts of things looked at many threads on the topic. Removing the registry key does not solve anything. VB/VM power cycles don't either. I have the latest VB to date. Loaded the manufacturer's drivers for the scanner. Tried VueScan. All to no effect. VueScan does detect the scanner under the Ubuntu host and is able to scan documents, although I cannot get VueScan to function under the Ubuntu guest (file not found!). VueScan works under the Windows guest but does not detect the scanner.

So any serious hint people may have would be appreciated.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 - Device Unknown

Post by Perryg »

Not all USB devices work, and scanners are one of the items that either do or do not. You can try creating a filter in the USB section making sure to put in the vendor ID and see if it will force the unit, but I know of no other way to get around this.
asoundmove

Post by asoundmove »

Perryg wrote:Not all USB devices work, and scanners are one of the items that either do or do not. You can try creating a filter in the USB section making sure to put in the vendor ID and see if it will force the unit, but I know of no other way to get around this.
Thanks Perryg, but I don't understand your reply.
lsusb sees the USB device in my Ubuntu VM, and the XP VM sees that a USB device connects and attempts to install the relevant drivers (new hardware detected ...).
On further investigation, there is one difference between what my Ubuntu host and my Ubuntu guest report.

Running lsusb -v shows exactly the same information except the last few lines.
The host shows:
Device Status: 0x0001
Self Powered

The guest shows:
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)

Using sudo solves my problems on Ubuntu.
So this proves that VirtualBox with the Ubuntu guest is able to pass the scanner USB data through (and I can now get VueScan to work on my Ubuntu guest).
However the same scanner does not seem to pass through successfully on my Windows guest (the device list shows USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 and Windows reports it as Device Unknown).
Whether the problem lies with Windows or VirtualBox, I am not sure, but I find it strange that the USB device would be reported as VID=0000 and PID=0000.

Any further help on this topic would be appreciated.
Thanks,
asm.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Is your login name in the vboxusers group (on the host)?
asoundmove

Post by asoundmove »

Perryg wrote:Is your login name in the vboxusers group (on the host)?
Yes.

To summarise (I've made progress with Ubuntu, not with Windows in VB):
1/ Ubuntu host detects my USB scanner and VueScan works perfectly with it.
2/ VB/Ubuntu under Ubuntu host: detects my USB scanner and VueScan works perfectly with it.
3/ VB/Windows XP under Ubuntu host: detects a USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 device, does not find the scanner, reports a malfunction and device unknown and VueScan cannot find any scanner (whether I install the Microtek drivers or not).
4/ WindowsXP host detects the scanner and works perfectly with it.

So it sounds like it is the combination of WindowsXP within VB that causes the problem.
asoundmove

Post by asoundmove »

http://www.mcse.ms/message1703260.html shows the exact sequence that VB/Windows goes through while detecting my USB device.

The only differences with this script is that 1/ my device is a fully functional scanner, not a hard drive and 2/ I can prove that the scanner works on Windows XP (host) and Ubuntu (host and guest) - the only problem is on Windows XP guest.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Try this.
  • Shut down the guest and click the settings for the guest.
  • click on USB and to the right click the Green + to add a filter
  • See if the device is listed. If it is then select it.
  • click on the yellow dot to edit and see if the Vendor ID and Product ID are correct. If not change them to match what they should be and save.
Start the guest and see if Windows will now have enough information to see it.
asoundmove

Post by asoundmove »

Ok, I had already added the filter, and selected the device (which causes the detection loop that eventually fails).
Vendor ID and Product ID already were what I expect them to be (I checked against VueScan's configuration files and Microtek's data as well, the manufacturer of my scanner).

I edited the VB USB device settings to put the relevant information in the Manufacturer and Product fields as well.
Booted the VM (from power-off), selected the device, same detection loop, same failed results.
These changes however do not seem to be reflected within the VM after boot.

Power down. Edited the Name field to include Manufacturer and Product strings.
Booted the VM (from power-off), selected the device, same detection loop, same failed results.

Power down. Edited the Serial No field to '0'.

Any next step you might advise?
smilingfrog

Post by smilingfrog »

Perryg wrote:Not all USB devices work, and scanners are one of the items that either do or do not. You can try creating a filter in the USB section making sure to put in the vendor ID and see if it will force the unit, but I know of no other way to get around this.
This error is a new error for me. I am running ubuntu 10.04 with virtualbox 3.2.8. I have a brother USB scanner/printer. I run Windows 2000 in a virtual machine, and both the scanner and printer worked fine in virtualbox until yesterday.

I am now getting this :
Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device. (Error: VERR_READ_ERROR).
I did update the kernel yesterday. Could there be a dependency error?
smilingfrog

Post by smilingfrog »

I can confirm that by booting up in Ubuntu using Linux headers 2.6.32-24 (instead of the updated headers to 2.6.32-25) that the usb issues resolve, and that my usb scanner and printer are recognized and work in the guest OS.

Something broke when the linux headers were updated.
asoundmove

Post by asoundmove »

But I am on 2.6.32-24 and I have never been on the 2.6.32-25.
Still broken for me.
Devonavar

Post by Devonavar »

I managed to resolve this issue thanks to another post on this forum. I've also created a bug ticket for the issue.

I'd love to share where I found these solutions, but Oracle's anti-SPAM filter won't let me post links until I've been a member long enough and posted enough non-linked posts. So ... hopefully I'll remember to update tomorrow.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Devonavar wrote:I'd love to share where I found these solutions, but Oracle's anti-SPAM filter won't let me post links until I've been a member long enough
Did you actually try? I thought it was only off-site URLs that were restricted, but I'm not in a position to test that, as I've been a member too long to have this problem and don't want to mess with my OSSO registration.

Anyway you could post an obfuscated link, or even just the topic title and number, and any mod could then edit your message to make it a proper link.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

It is actually all URL's. As Don said others have figured out to post an obfuscated link.
Devonavar

Post by Devonavar »

This bug appears to be related to running multiple processors in a WinXP guest. I managed to find a workaround in another post here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52814

I've opened a bug ticket here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11525