VB-3.1.6 crashes with Ubuntu-10.04 + guest additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
marshals
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

VB-3.1.6 crashes with Ubuntu-10.04 + guest additions

Post by marshals »

I have a fairly new Intel core-i3 (Intel HD graphics) Windows-7 64-bit host.

However, when I install guest additions into either a Ubuntu-10.04 32-bit or 64-bit guest, then:
  • VB itself crashes with 3d acceleration enabled when I shutdown the guest or (apparently) if I do anything GL-related inside the guest such as use a GL screensaver
  • I lose the network in the guest
(I also lose the network in the guest with Kubuntu-10.04 + guest additions, though I haven't worked out how to test with 3d acceleration enabled.)
All is OK so long as I do not install guest additions.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I see lots of posts about other problems with Ubuntu-10.04, but nothing about VB crashes or network issues.

Has anyone any idea how I might investigate the problem?
marshals

Re: VB-3.1.6 crashes with Ubuntu-10.04 + guest additions

Post by marshals »

marshals wrote:I have a fairly new Intel core-i3 (Intel HD graphics) Windows-7 64-bit host.
However, when I install guest additions into either a Ubuntu-10.04 32-bit or 64-bit guest, then:
  • VB itself crashes with 3d acceleration enabled when I shutdown the guest or (apparently) if I do anything GL-related inside the guest such as use a GL screensaver
  • I lose the network in the guest
All is OK so long as I do not install guest additions.
I think I have solved the crashing part of the problem. My host drivers were up-to-date as far as Windows was concerned, but I went directly to Intel and found my Graphics Driver was out-of-date (8.15.0010.2082 vs 8.15.10.2104). I thought that would be covered by Windows update, but presumably not. Updating that (and Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility) seems to have solved the problem. :oops:

Just the network lossage to solve... :evil:
sacular
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS

Post by sacular »

I had a similar problem with Intel Express 4 chipset and Ubuntu 10.04 beta. Updating to 8.15.10.2202 fixed the problem.

regards

saCUL
Perth, Western Australia
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

For the network loosing, what are the settings of the VM, and what is the network configuration on both the Host and Guest? Do you see anything in the logs of the Guest (that's in /var/log) about it?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
marshals

Post by marshals »

Sasquatch wrote:For the network loosing, what are the settings of the VM, and what is the network configuration on both the Host and Guest? Do you see anything in the logs of the Guest (that's in /var/log) about it?
I opened a ticket for this, see http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6656, though it kind-of petered out. It's still a problem with 3.2.8, though possibly less frequent. When the problem occurs on booting the VM, I can get the network up by clicking on the network icon and selecting "Auto eth0". But I would like to (help to) get it fixed.

FWIW, the settings are PCnet-FAST III (NAT) for the guest. What specifically do you need to know? I don't see anything particularly scary in /var/log or VBox.log.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Then it would appear that there are two possible causes:
1: The host doesn't have internet when the VM starts. This will give wrong IP information to the Guest OS and a refresh renews the information and fixes it.

2: The Guest does not have configure the network automatically as it should. This is often the cause by faulty network managers. One way to fix this is to add some manual configuration in the system so the graphical managers are no longer depended on for network connectivity. Put this in /etc/network/interfaces.

Code: Select all

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
That will configure and enable the eth0 interface.

I'm putting my money on the faulty network manager. I've heard more issues from it in the past and the default Gnome-Network-Manager can be a disaster. I don't trust it.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

marshals

Post by marshals »

Sasquatch wrote:I'm putting my money on the faulty network manager. I've heard more issues from it in the past and the default Gnome-Network-Manager can be a disaster. I don't trust it.
It's certainly not 1. I've tried 2 - the existing entries were

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
- and I added your suggestion after. Or should I replace the existing entries?

In any case, I haven't seen any missing network on reboot so far. I'll keep this thread and the ticket updated. Thanks for the help!

However, I no longer get the network icon on the panel. I presume that is expected?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Did you check the existing config and the one I put here? They are the same. So no need to replace it or add it a second time.

As for the network icon, you might have removed it yourself from the panel. It certainly shouldn't disappear on it's own. Unless it somehow crashes/crashed. See if you can get it back by right clicking on the panel and select 'add item', then look for the network applet.

marshals

Post by marshals »

Sasquatch wrote:Did you check the existing config and the one I put here? They are the same. So no need to replace it or add it a second time.
Sorry - my bad cut'n'paste when messing around with the post ml - the original entry was actually:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
I've now commented out the above entry, so just your entries are present.
Sasquatch wrote:As for the network icon, you might have removed it yourself from the panel. It certainly shouldn't disappear on it's own. Unless it somehow crashes/crashed. See if you can get it back by right clicking on the panel and select 'add item', then look for the network applet.
No, I certainly didn't remove it, and the network applet does not appear in the add item list any more.

I had one reboot this morning, when I wanted to get the correct original contents of /etc/network/interfaces, where it appeared to not be able to see the network. Should I see that happen again, what should I look at to determine the cause?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

First, you need to restore the loopback adapter. Having none can cause serious issues.

There is a small possibility that you removed Gnome-network-manager from the package list. Open Synaptic Package Manager and look for it there. If it's installed, reinstall it. If that doesn't give you anything, try Google or Ubuntuforums.org for a solution in getting the icon back. Though it shouldn't matter much, as the interfaces file will do what is needed for internet/network on the VM.

marshals

Post by marshals »

Sasquatch wrote:First, you need to restore the loopback adapter. Having none can cause serious issues.
Done.
Sasquatch wrote:There is a small possibility that you removed Gnome-network-manager from the package list. Open Synaptic Package Manager and look for it there. If it's installed, reinstall it. If that doesn't give you anything, try Google or Ubuntuforums.org for a solution in getting the icon back. Though it shouldn't matter much, as the interfaces file will do what is needed for internet/network on the VM.
OK. It was already installed, so I removed it and reinstalled, but the applet still doesn't appear. I saw some stuff about nm-applet via googling for missing gnome network manager applet, but when I run it directly I get:

An instance of nm-applet is already running.

** (nm-applet:1374): WARNING **: <WARN>  constructor(): Couldn't initialize the D-Bus manager.
Now I see I can just about make out a grab handle in the panel which I think is part of the Notification applet, but it's otherwise empty and not very responsive. I'll google around some more.
Thanks again.
marshals

Post by marshals »

BTW, I can confirm that if I remove the new entries, ie, the last 2 lines in:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
then the network icon (up/down arrows) in the notification applet reappears.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Good, then it just means that nm-applet hides or does not start when it detects manual configuration. Nothing to worry about. You can decide for yourself what you prefer. If you want to quickly switch between the one or the other, put a '#' in front of the two lines for eth0 to comment them.

marshals

Post by marshals »

Sasquatch wrote:Good, then it just means that nm-applet hides or does not start when it detects manual configuration. Nothing to worry about.
I guess so - I'll leave it with the new entries and update this topic if I see any network failures on reboot.
marshals

Post by marshals »

I had a network connection failure on reboot this morning. Keeping the above settings, network was OK when I did a re-reboot. (There was no icon in the notification applet to use to get the connection, so I rebooted instead.)

I don't know if it's relevant, but this morning the host is connected to my company's network via a VPN in the host. It still was when I did a re-reboot of the guest, which was successful, but I mention it in case it's important. I had wondered if the intermittent nature of the problem was timing related.

Any thoughts?