Fix VirtualBox's Guest Additions in Ubuntu 10.10

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratease
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.10

Fix VirtualBox's Guest Additions in Ubuntu 10.10

Post by socratease »

If you are new to Virutalbox and Ubuntu like me, you might be frustrated that the display "auto resize" doesn't work on Ubuntu 10.10. Even if you've installed Guest Addition as required, the "Guest Display Auto-resize" function is grey-ed out. I pulled quite a few hairs of mine out over this.

It turns out vbox 3.2.8 Guestion Addition doesn't install 100% on Ubuntun 10.10 beta, but it's very easy to overlook the error message when you are overwhelmed with experience and confusion of running vbox the first time.

The error message is "Warning: unknown version of the X Window System installed. Not installing X Window System drivers". Even more intriguing, the error message, or warning, doesn't show up in /var/log/vboxadd-install.log

Fortunately, good folks from unixmen.com have a fix for it, and they saved the day for me! just thought I should share this as more people are surely trying out ubuntu 10.10 now.

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/ ... eerkat-fix
Open terminal and enter the commands bellow:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
After installation is finished, restart your virtualBox machine then
go to System -->Preferences -->Monitors and change the resolution of your screen.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Fix VirtualBox's Guest Additions in Ubuntu 10.10

Post by Sasquatch »

*SIGN*

There is a specific topic about this here already which describes this problem including the same 'fix' which is not recommended. There is a test build of the Guest Additions available in the bug tracker. Please see http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33645 for more information.

Locked.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.