Installing windows xp from acetoneiso

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
talitim
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows xp sp3

Installing windows xp from acetoneiso

Post by talitim »

When i start the machine it asks me to press F12, then asks me to choose from main drive, floppy, cd drive, or other, and any time i select anything it says no booted media.
I am using acetoneiso for the mounting of the iso image to install. Can someone walk me through this, so I can get it set up finally?
Thanks alot
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Installing windows xp from acetoneiso

Post by Perryg »

I am not sure I understand why you need acetoneiso. Can you explain this more in detail? Do you not have an ISO file to attach?
talitim

Post by talitim »

I have tried to use the media attach on vbox, but when I do, something always goes wrong. The funniest seems to be squirel.sys is corrupted and it then cancels the install.

That is why I have acetone. I don't know what to do exactly. I want this program to run netflix online movies, but it isn't working.

I am sorry, yes I have an ISO file to attach, and when I do it through vbox it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You should read your VirtualBox users manual especially Chapter 1.6. Creating your first virtual machine. Maybe it will help you.
I still don't understand what it is you are trying to install, but without install a guest OS first you will not be able to install your program you want.
talitim

Post by talitim »

ok, I am sorry. I am trying to install the guest OS windows XP. I want it on Kubuntu 10.04, Please understand I am a tech, not a programmer, so in program language, I am more of a idiot than a amateur. I hope that made it clearer.
so I am trying to install Windows XP.iso on Virtualbox using Kubuntu 10.04 as the host OS.
Thanks so much for your patience. I guess I wasn't really level at first on what I wanted to do.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Windows Xp iso? Did you make this ISO yourself? Do you have the original install CD?
talitim

Post by talitim »

Unfortunately my copy of xp went corrupt because the data side of the disk was scratched by one of my children. I am downloading a copy, but it never works. Is that the problem, is there a specific one I should look for. Can't afford the price for another windows installation cd. Thanks
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Short of you asking Microsoft for a replacement I am afraid we can not help you.
We can not condone use of any licensed product in a way that tries to work around the license agreement.
If you have your license key I would think a call to Microsoft would get you a copy or a way to do this legally.
talitim

Post by talitim »

ok thanks
talitim

Post by talitim »

Unfortunately for Microsoft, all they want is to sell Windows 7 which I can't even run. They will not provide me with a replacement for the disk, and said If I want it that bad there are vendors still selling it, so am I messed at this point. Is there nothing I can do short of spending money to either upgrade my ram and finally to W7, or is there somethig within vb that I am not configuring.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You have one other recourse. Since you actually have the install key you should be able to install from another CD if you can find one. It must match you install key that you paid for.

Sorry to say this is totally outside the scope of this forum and no there is nothing inside VirtualBox that you can change.