Can't connect to XP guest using rdp and Linux tsclient

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
levander

Can't connect to XP guest using rdp and Linux tsclient

Post by levander »

I'm trying to figure out how to RDP into a vbox vm. I'm running Ubuntu Gutsy as the host, and Windows XP as the guest.

In VirtualBox, I've turned on VRDP access and am using port 3389 for the vm in question. On booting the vm, lsof does report the VirtualBox application is listening on TCP port 3389. At the top of the window display the GUI for the vm, there's a Device -> Remote Display menu item. Apparently I can click it to toggle whether or not VirtualBox is listening on that port.

So, while lsof says VirtualBox is listening, in Ubuntu Gutsy, I go to the "Applications -> Internet -> Terminal Server Client" and get this dialog:

I've named the vm louis-xp. The host's name in /etc/hostname is louis, but I just use localhost in that dialog to avoid any IP lookup issues. I click on "Connect" and the dialog disappears. A couple of minutes later I get an error dialog saying that the connection has timed out.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: No idea why hotlinking to that image isn't working on this forum. Please click here to see the dialog I'm talking about: http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh57 ... 1202312242