VM immediately closes on launch.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
thndrchld

VM immediately closes on launch.

Post by thndrchld »

I have a Virtualbox installation that I use at the office. I am running on Ubuntu 7.10, with Windows XP as the guest. The vboxdrv module is loaded properly, and up until recently, the whole system has been working great.

My problem started the other day. We had a power out at the office, and when the system came back up, the vboxdrv file had vanished. Long story short, I extracted the contents of the virtualbox-ose package and pulled out the vboxdrv.ko file and put it where the system was expecting it. Now, the VM tries to launch, but mysteriously closes before the innotek splash screen shows. I get no error message, and the status of the machine shows 'Aborted'. I have checked dmesg, and I can't find any related error messages.

Right now, I am having to VNC into a windows machine to run our office software, which is a royal pain. I really need this working again.

Apologies if somebody has already asked/answered this question, I didn't have time to search around. If this has already been answered, please just point me at the thread and I'll go from there.

Thank you very much,

--thndrchld
thndrchld

An update...

Post by thndrchld »

So, apparently, I'm a muppet. I did not extract the virtualbox-ose package, I extracted the contents of the regular install package and installed THAT vboxdrv.ko file. I realized this just a few minutes ago when I was going over what I had don so far. I tried extracting the virtualbox-1.5.4_ose package, but I cannot find a virtualbox.ko file anywhere.

Am I missing something here?

--thndrchld