Delete all snapshots with one command?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
appyface
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP W7 Linux

Delete all snapshots with one command?

Post by appyface »

Good Morning,

I'd like to ask for the ability to delete all snapshots at once. Perhaps a new parameter "All" for VBoxManage snapshot delete command, as example? Or other way to automate the deletion process.

The reason I'm asking. I often have many snapshots to delete when I'm ready to update them into the base VDI (50 is not uncommon). The most automated method I've found so far, is to construct a custom script of VBoxManage commands to specify and delete each snapshot one at a time. It's not a big effort to create these scripts, but does require a new custom script be created for every VDI, every time. Deleting snapshots is a slow process, but once I have the custom script it's fully automated. The scripts run overnight and there's nothing more to do. So the speed is not a factor for me.

I realize there are other methods to achieve the same end result, such as cloning. Downsides are large amounts of free disk space needed temporarily (my VDI's are 220G or more), and higher potential for errors (such as automating the swap of new VDI for the old set in the VM, and deleting the old set of files).

I'm not asking for performance enhancements for deleting snapshots, just automation -- the ability to point VirtualBox at the VM and have it find and delete all the snapshots on its own. This request may not receive the popular vote, but I'm hoping it's trival to implement and might be accepted on that basis :-)

Thank you for your consideration of this request. Kind regards,
--appyface
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Delete all snapshots with one command?

Post by Sasquatch »

You might want to add the suggestion in the Bugtracker (separate account needed) too and link to this topic (post the ticket link here too). The public bugtracker gets more attention from devs than this section because they use it to track their bugs and such.
I know that there was a talk about this in the beta section, or somewhere else, but it apparently didn't get implemented.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
appyface

Post by appyface »

@Sasquatch
Thank you as always for your help. I will see if I can attract a little attention the way you suggest :-)

Kind regards,
--appyface
appyface

Post by appyface »

Created an enhancement request ticket in the Bug Tracker, #7381: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7381

Kind regards,
--appyface