Discuss the 3.2.8 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Re: Discuss the 3.2.8 release

Post by MarkCranness »

gencon wrote:VirtualBox.xml (before new guest from cloned backup) - http://pastebin.com/VcU2TmCx
VirtualBox.xml (after new guest from cloned backup) - http://pastebin.com/EzZ4ALvP
They look pretty much the same, except for the addition of a new 'Win XP SP3' VM.
gencon wrote:Done - but can it get worse - it's totally inaccessible anyway?! Can it be fixed at all if it's the corruption problem that pgh pointed out and which sounds like it probably is?
If it is the ext4/host i-o problem, then I don't know (but suspect NOT fixable).
gencon wrote:Fortunately on 3rd August I searched the forum for how to clone my 'current state' and I found your excellent instructions that you've linked above. ... I have now created a new guest, attaching the 3rd August clone 'current state' VDI file and it is working perfectly.
Great!
gencon wrote:With the original VDI file (not the clone I added) there are no 'differencing disks' under it, the original VDI file does not report any problems, says it is a 'Normal (VDI)' and that it is 'Not Attached'. Not attached presumably because the guest is being reported as Inaccessible?
Yes.
The machine XML and VirtualBox.xml still show the snapshot tree and the differencing disk tree in place, so the GUI showing NO tree could well be due to a simply fixed bug in the GUI, or even a simply fixed corruption of the differencing disks: It seems the GUI does not like them, and so will not show them in a tree. The tree is still there in the XML.

Frank has announced a fix that will fix BASE VDI files and solve one of the 3.2.8 regressions.
Perhaps soon there will also be a differencing file fix, or a VirtualBox code patch that fixes the differencing disks, and your snapshots will come back? Let's hope so.
gencon wrote:...and the ext4/sata/io-cache-disabled file corruption diagnosis is wrong? Could the upgrade to 3.2.8 or guest additions upgrade have somehow caused my VDI file to be released from its guest and that this has been why the guest says it is inaccessible, the lack of any error message being because there is no error just that the guest's VDI file has got unattached resulting in it being inaccessible? If this is in any way possible how do I go about re-attaching the original VDI file to its guest?
Yes that is very possible. I can only suggest waiting for a fix or patch.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

The fix is now available, see the public ticket.
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Post by MarkCranness »

@gencon: The fix that Frank links to may fix your problem.

A comment added to that bug report says:
Only some base .vdi images are affected, the snapshots need no fixing. The fact that the base .vdi was declared inconsistent (having a non-zero parent UUID) makes the snapshots implicitly inaccessible too.
Try applying the fix to your base VDI file (only) and see what happens! (instructions in the link Frank gave).
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

ChipMcK wrote:
klaus wrote:To everyone observing inaccessible base images in VirtualBox 3.2.8, please read http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7289#comment:5
is VBoxFixHdd-OSX.txt supposed to be VBoxFixHdd-OSX.dmg for downloading, like VBoxFixHdd-Win.exe?

And -Lunix and -Solaris?????
VBoxFixHdd-OSX.txt? I cannot follow what you're referring to, there is no file with such a name there. The files in the directory I pointed to are programs. Not installers. Download them, and you should be able to directly execute them. On OSX/Linux/Solaris you need to mark the program as executable.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

klaus wrote: VBoxFixHdd-OSX.txt? I cannot follow what you're referring to, there is no file with such a name there. The files in the directory I pointed to are programs. Not installers. Download them, and you should be able to directly execute them. On OSX/Linux/Solaris you need to mark the program as executable.
In http://www.virtualbox.org/download/VBoxFixHdd/

VBoxFixHDD-OSX does not download when Clicked, just displays Binary data.
Same for -Linux and -Solaris.

If I Ctrl-Click and select 'Download Linked File', then I get a .TXT file
ingo2
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: OS/2, WinXP-10, Linux

Post by ingo2 »

ChipMcK wrote: If I Ctrl-Click and select 'Download Linked File', then I get a .TXT file
I checked th Linux version: "save link as" downloads - and it is a binary. So all ok.

Ingo
johnelee
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Post by johnelee »

Frank Mehnert wrote:
johnelee wrote:Slightly off topic? , but what is the relationship between the version no of the 3.2.8 or other release (6xxxx) and the changeset svn version no 3xxxx - ie how does one determine which svn changes are included in a specific release build.
There is no direct relation. The 3.2.x releases (like 3.1.x, 3.0.x and so on) are developed on a branch. The public subversion repository contains only trunk. Only those changesets which fix important bugs / regressions will be backported to a branch. This helps to keep branch releases stable. This is different for a major release where the latest state of trunk is used but even there, the public svn repository contains only a subset of our internal svn repository (mainly the code for the few closed-source modules is left out).
Thanks- seems a bit odd that you don't expose the svn branches tho' so we can see what' exactly is in each release - can't see that it's especially sensitive... John
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

johnelee wrote:Thanks- seems a bit odd that you don't expose the svn branches tho' so we can see what' exactly is in each release - can't see that it's especially sensitive... John
Providing a subversion repository for the branches is nothing sensitive but it takes ressources for setting up and maintaining this. Keep in mind that there is an OSE tarball for each release and we provide changelog entries for changes which we think are important.
johnelee
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Post by johnelee »

Frank Mehnert wrote:
johnelee wrote:Thanks- seems a bit odd that you don't expose the svn branches tho' so we can see what' exactly is in each release - can't see that it's especially sensitive... John
Providing a subversion repository for the branches is nothing sensitive but it takes ressources for setting up and maintaining this. Keep in mind that there is an OSE tarball for each release and we provide changelog entries for changes which we think are important.
ok, if it takes resources - but I was basing my comments on freepascal where I can see & navigate the svn trunk & n branches with one utility, viewvc.

John
Lea
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Ubuntu 10

Post by Lea »

@ChipMcK and all »normal MacUsers«,
neither Frank Mehnert nor klaus told us MacUser a important step!

You have to »convert« the downloaded VBoxFixHdd-OSX.txt into a »Ausführbare Unix-Datei« (guess, something like »Executable Unix-File« in english - can't figure that out) before you can follow the procedure that klaus posted. So, for Mac:

Step 1:
Download the VBoxFixHdd-OSX (results on a Mac-Host with Safari a file named: VBoxFixHdd-OSX.txt).

Step 2:
Get Information and delete the ».txt«-extension. (the Icon should look like a unknown file)

Step 3:
Open Terminal
enter: chmod a+x
(= chmod *space* a+x *space*),
drag the file to the terminal-window
and Enter ...

... results a line like:
Mac:~ Username$ chmod a+x /Users/Username/Desktop/VBoxFixHdd-OSX

... no feedback from Terminal, but now the File is what we want. :-)

Step 4 as told by klaus:
Use Terminal and enter
/Users/Username/Desktop/VBoxFixHdd-OSX --filename /Users/Username/Library/VirtualBox/HardDisks/image.vdi --zeroparentuuid

(means: drag »VBoxFixHdd-OSX to Terminal-Window«, type » --filename «, drag »image.vdi« to Terminal-Window and type (or paste) the » --zeroparentuuid «)

results some lines, like:
Old image UUID: b740d62c-e181-4eb0-825b-71fbdb388682
Old parent UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
New parent UUID: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

... works! :-)

Lea
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

Lea wrote:@ChipMcK and all »normal MacUsers«,

You have to »convert« the downloaded VBoxFixHdd-OSX.txt into a »Ausführbare Unix-Datei« (guess, something like »Executable Unix-File« in english - can't figure that out) before you can follow the procedure that klaus posted.
Thank you for being kind of those less experienced with *unix products
fillab
Guest OSses: XP

Post by fillab »

Frank Mehnert wrote: This is indeed a 3.2.8 regression. Some older releases of VirtualBox wrote an incorrect status field into .vdi files (parent UUID). The 3.2.8 release is more paranoid in that case. We will provide a tool for fixing such invalid .vdi files very soon.
I found a way to create an error with 3.2.8 too. I do not know if it's releated or not.

To make it short, I believe there is an issue when creating snaphot for a VM and one of the disk is attached to mutliple VMs.

To reproduce it, you will need 3 vdi images and 2 VMs.
BootOS1.vdi - Attached to VM-a
BootOS2.vdi - Attached to VM-b
SharedDisk.vdi - Attached to both VM-a and VM-b

Make sure they both are Powered Off and you have no Snapshots. This your "clean" starting point.

Now create a snapshot on VM-b and go directly into its Storage settings (do not start the VM, do not close the VB GUI):
- "SharedDisk.vdi" is not attached to VM-b anymore!
- if you tr to reattach it -> VBOX_E_INVALID_OBJECT_STATE (0x80BB0007)
- if you go in the Virtual Media Manager, it tells you "SharedDisk.vdi" is still atached to both VM-a and VM-b

Now delete the snapshot from VM-b and go again in Virtual Media Manager:
- it tells you that "SharedDisk.vdi" is attached only to VM-b
- but if you open each VM Storage settings, it's different (attached only to VM-a)

Now close the VB GUI and wait for VBoxSVC.exe to quit.

Restart VB and go again in Virtual Media Manager:
- it tells you that "SharedDisk.vdi" is attached only to VM-a

Now you can finally reattach "SharedDisk.vdi" to VM-b.
MarkCranness
Volunteer

Post by MarkCranness »

fillab wrote:- "SharedDisk.vdi" is not attached to VM-b anymore! ...
I have also seen these same problems. I created a bug report for it:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7280

I have added a link back to your post above.

Please feel free to add any details there. (You may need to create another account for the bug tracker. Use the 'Register' link at the top right of the ticket link above.
dettix
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu

Post by dettix »

I upgraded Virtual Box on my Mac OS X V10.6.4 and now it fails starting my Window XP guest.

The fix posted by Lea (see above) solved the issue!!!

Thanks Lea 8) 8)
Attachments
VBox3.2.8_Error_Message.png
VBox3.2.8_Error_Message.png (76.6 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
ingo2
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: OS/2, WinXP-10, Linux

Post by ingo2 »

Lea wrote:@ChipMcK and all »normal MacUsers«,

You have to »convert« the downloaded VBoxFixHdd-OSX.txt into a »Ausführbare Unix-Datei« (guess, something like »Executable
Sorry, but that has clearly been mentioned here by Klaus in his posting above http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p150479:

He says:

> On OSX/Linux/Solaris you need to mark the program as executable.