Console Error When Loading

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
katzkoll
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: xp

Console Error When Loading

Post by katzkoll »

I can not load my guest operating system (XP). I get the following error message:

"Failed to start the virtual machine XP.

Unknown Error Creating VM
(VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED).

Details:

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {6375231a-c17c-464b-92cb-ae9e128d71c3}

Anyone out there that can tell me what I need to do in "layman's" terms? I am new to Linux and don't know much about terminal or commands. Upto this point, everything was working fine. I tried to go back to previous snapshots to no avail. I have booted my system several time, etc. I am at a loss.

I am using latest version of Linux Mint (Ubuntu 10.04) and the Virtualbox version from the software manager: 3.1.6 r59338
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: Console Error When Loading

Post by frank »

This version is quite old, you should try the latest release (3.2.8) from our official website (www.virtualbox.org). The error you describe sounds like you want to start a guest with more than one guest CPUs or which wants to execute 64-bit code. For such cases, VT-x/AMD-V (a processor feature) is required. Check your BIOS if you can enable such a setting or try to upgrade your BIOS.
katzkoll

Post by katzkoll »

Frank, everything worked fine yesterday and for the last couple of weeks. I did set it up to run as a dual processor in the guest and AMD-v was enabled.

If I upgrade to the latest version, will I have to reinstall the XP? or will it take my existing settings and adapt them?
katzkoll

Post by katzkoll »

I have checked out the latest version and looked at the directions for installation. If I install the latest version, should it take care of my problems?

How do you "Add one of the following lines according to your distribution to your /etc/apt/sources.list:"?

I am new and not sure of the structure system and the terminal commands. Can you assist?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

katzkoll wrote:I have checked out the latest version and looked at the directions for installation. If I install the latest version, should it take care of my problems?
Possibly.
katzkoll wrote:How do you "Add one of the following lines according to your distribution to your /etc/apt/sources.list:"?
Plenty of information on the internet (even on the Ubuntu and Mint website) on how to add third party repositories. It's even described on the Linux download page here (well, sort of).

As for the error, did you change anything to the system itself, like install some additional software or system task?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.