moved to a new mac, using old vm, issues with guest addt

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
rickcr
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows

moved to a new mac, using old vm, issues with guest addt

Post by rickcr »

I'm going nuts here. I upgraded to the latest macbook pro. My old VM (ubuntu 10) works fine EXCEPT I can't seem to get the latest guest additions installed. (I have no copy/paste between systems, etc.) When I go to install the guest additions it says

You appear to have a version of the VBoxGuestAdditions software
on your system which was installed from a different source or using a
different type of installer. If you installed it from a package from your
Linux distribution or if it is a default part of the system then we strongly
recommend that you cancel this installation and remove it properly before
installing this version. If this is simply an older or a damaged
installation you may safely proceed.

I have no idea how to make sure everything is uninstalled so I can reinstall successfully??? If I just ignore the warning and install the latest additions that I have VBOXADDITIONS_3.2.6_63112, it says it installed successfully yet I have none of the guest additions features.

What should I do to remedy this situation? Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: moved to a new mac, using old vm, issues with guest addt

Post by Perryg »

Use the synaptic package manager in the Ubuntu guest and search for virtualbox. Remove the guest additions from there and then install the new guest additions.

Sometimes you just need to pull the trigger and go ahead and install. I have done this and it worked out alright, but I can not promise you that yours will.
rickcr

Post by rickcr »

Perryg wrote:Use the synaptic package manager in the Ubuntu guest and search for virtualbox. Remove the guest additions from there and then install the new guest additions.

Sometimes you just need to pull the trigger and go ahead and install. I have done this and it worked out alright, but I can not promise you that yours will.
I'm confused on two things:

1) I don't have a listing of guest additions in synaptic. There is an option there to install 3.1.6

2) not sure what you mean about 'pull the trigger and go ahead an install?" I did that. It just didn't work.

Also on a whim I even tried to install 3.1.6 from synaptic and then did a full removal then tried to install again from the 3.2.6 additions from virtualbox. Still no luck.
rickcr

Post by rickcr »

Actually this time even though I got that warning (after using synapitc to install 3.1.6 then uninstall it) then installing 3.2.6, I hit continue anyway and proceeded with the install. This time it seemed to work. Looks like using synaptic to install 3.1.6 then uninstall did the trick... so THANKS !
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@rickcr,

Where did you get the version of VirtualBox that you installed on your MAC?
Was it http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads ?
If so you should have the PUEL version and the OSE version of the guest additions (provided by Ubuntu) will not work in the Guest.
  • Make sure that the OSE version is uninstalled and then install the guest additions (in the guest) that comes with the VB program.
    Click on the devices tab at the top and then install guest additions. That should be the proper ones.
    Watch for errors while it installs and report them here.
    Also This should help Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions + Xorg config
    DO NOT edit or create an xorg.conf in 10.04, it is not needed, and can cause problems.
Please update your profile to the right information when you have verified that you have it working.
 Edit: I see you have got it to work while I was replying. Disregard the information above but keep it in mind for future reference.