Problem with Warcraft 2 in Windows XP Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Skot
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Problem with Warcraft 2 in Windows XP Guest

Post by Skot »

Everything is working great, including the networking, except that I can't use the key combinations "control+1" and "control+2". Unfortunately, for this particular game, not being able to use those two key combinations is a pretty big deal breaker.

"control+3" through "control+0" do work though, oddly enough. Any thoughts or potential fixes?
Borg
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Professional

Re: Problem with Warcraft 2 in Windows XP Guest

Post by Borg »

I've tried this game also and have found that many games are not working for me. My current configuration consists of an AMD 9550 Quad Core CPU, 8GB OCZ RAM and an ATI Radeon HD4870 which are working fine with PCBSD. I'm currently running the RV770 with the 'radeonhd-3d-enable' driver. I've also tried the other drivers, but am having very little luck gaming over virtualbox at all. The guest OS (Windows XP Professional) of course works flawlessly, but gaming is a completely different story. Am I maybe using something I shouldn't be or missing enabling something? I've got WineD3D installed, the virtualbox additions and I'm honestly at a loss at this point what else to try or use to make games work. We also don't have the pleasure of using Wine because PCBSD doesn't yet support the 64bit version of Wine.

The typical scenario usually consists of the game starting fine with everything loading properly, but video performance is either seriously crippled or the display (eg: Warcraft II) is seriously distorted, cut off or overlay and produces some odd behavior of the mouse pointer.The keyboard seems to work fine so I can confirm also that the keyboard works with this game, but to what extent I don't know yet on my equipment and setup.

Any ideas, suggestions or comments welcome. Does virtualbox plan to support games better in future? I would be so happy to not have to use a hard install of Windows just to game. :D

Regards,
Borg