Can't take Screenshots after inst VirtualBox Guest Additions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
CuXe
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows

Can't take Screenshots after inst VirtualBox Guest Additions

Post by CuXe »

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 from a virtual machine using VirtualBox. The problem I am having is that I can't take screenshots because all I get is a black image.

I upgraded all of my software through Synaptic (Ubuntu program manager) thinking that the screenshot problem might have had something to do with outdated Ubuntu repositories or files.

After the upgrade finished it seems like the Guest Addtions from Virtualbox got overwritten because after restarting I could no longer enter full screen mode AND the seamless mode was also grayed out (disabled)

I decided to take a screenshot (Prt SC) while the guest additions of VB got disabled and voila! there was my screenshot. Now when I re-installed the guest additions so that I could go fullscreen with my ubuntu OS... I am back in the hole once again! I can't take screenshots because all I get is one black image.

CLARIFICATION:

I have windows XP as a host and Ubuntu 10.04 is running inside of a virtual machine.

When I go fullscreen on my ubuntu virtual machine i want to be able to take a screenshot of the desktop however when I try to take a screenshot from ubuntu's Accessories > Take screenshot .. all I get is a black image, no screenshot was taken at all. I get the same result when I go to the terminal and type: cuxe@server:~$ gnome-screenshot

If i try to take a screenshot of the ubuntu virtual machine with virtualbox I also get the same result, just one black image.

The thing is that without virtualbox's guest additions I am able to take screenshots using ubuntu's Accessories > Take screenshot but when I install the guest additions (to take my ubuntu virtual machine fullscreen) I lose the ability to take screenshots within ubuntu.

I am not trying to take a screenshot from the host into ubuntus virtual machine, just a regular desktop screenshot using ubuntu. I hope that wasn't confusing
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Can't take Screenshots after inst VirtualBox Guest Additions

Post by Sasquatch »

Problem here is the 3D effects. Once these are enabled, the screenshots will be black. Disable Compiz (desktop effects) and you should be back in business. Disabling 3D in the VM settings is essentially the same.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
CuXe
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows

Re: Can't take Screenshots after inst VirtualBox Guest Additions

Post by CuXe »

Awesome! that did in fact solve the problem :)

Thanks so much Sas!
aa

Re: Can't take Screenshots after inst VirtualBox Guest Addit

Post by aa »

there is a corresponding launchpad bug report at
bugs.launchpad. net/ ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/1005914

currently there is no solution over there, either, but this cross-reference might be handy nonetheless.
aa

Post by aa »

ps: spam protection forbids me to post working links...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A bug report relevant to a two year old thread? I'd be surprised.