Guest Additions for OSX guests?

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
rlsx
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Unbuntu

Guest Additions for OSX guests?

Post by rlsx »

v3.2 final is a superb piece of software!

Yet, Guest Additions for OSX aren't included with v3.2.

Are they to be released soon ?
nike
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest OSses: OS/2 1.2, Windows 3.11, OSX

Re: Guest Additions for OSX guests?

Post by nike »

Guest additions are worked on. We cannot provide any exact details on ETA.
rlsx
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: Unbuntu

Post by rlsx »

Thank you. Keep up the good work!
PippoX0
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Linux, WinXP

Post by PippoX0 »

The most important thing i'm waiting for from Guest Additions is Video Kext for getting Quartz Extreme enable and for setting easily the screen resolutions and color deep.
Audio is also important , but these is just a workaround installing the right Kext.

We wait for the Announce ...

Thanks a lot
dineshj
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Vista

Post by dineshj »

We all waiting for official guest additions for Mac OS X. It must fix display, sound and shard folders between host and guest. That will be cracking release of desktop virtualization.
runey
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Leopard 10.5.8

Post by runey »

nike wrote:Guest additions are worked on. We cannot provide any exact details on ETA.
I too am loving this 3.2.2 release of virtualbox. Through some efforts and fiddling I have managed to get a working copy of 10.5.8 installed.

I would love guest additions to be released for mac os x as guest system.
Would guest additions possibly enhance the mouse responsiveness? I Find that sometimes when clicking it doesn't register the click at all, which can be irritating..

If there is any other method to increase the reliability of the clicking / tracking of the mouse, I would love to know about it.

Runey
wesley84
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Mac OS X

Post by wesley84 »

PippoX0 wrote:The most important thing i'm waiting for from Guest Additions is Video Kext for getting Quartz Extreme enable and for setting easily the screen resolutions and color deep.
Audio is also important , but these is just a workaround installing the right Kext.

We wait for the Announce ...

Thanks a lot
So, quartz extreme and core image will work when guest additions are available? Can anyone confirm? If so, can't wait!
ed_co
Primary OS: MS Windows 7

Post by ed_co »

nike wrote:Guest additions are worked on. We cannot provide any exact details on ETA.
I know thay you can't provide EXACT details on ETA, but you can try with a rough idea (1 month, 2 months, several weeks, 10 days, 1 year..., whatever).
We don't need exact time, only to know that is fairly serious and not vaporware.

Thank you very much. :)
ed_co

Post by ed_co »

As I supposed, no1 had confirmed the qe & ci.
I don't think that this feature will come to virtualbox. It's pretty complex to develope the driver, is not like develope a soundcard driver. I mean, the guest additions will come, but without qe & ci, at least soon.
This is my opinion, and maybe I am wrong. I would like to be wrong.
The time will tell us.
OmegaX
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: OS X Snow Leopard

Post by OmegaX »

ed_co wrote:As I supposed, no1 had confirmed the qe & ci.
I don't think that this feature will come to virtualbox. It's pretty complex to develope the driver, is not like develope a soundcard driver. I mean, the guest additions will come, but without qe & ci, at least soon.
This is my opinion, and maybe I am wrong. I would like to be wrong.
The time will tell us.
Why even speculate on what it will/won't have? it's not even crucial to have it in a VM, it could be a basic framebuffer and hardly anyone would complain. (other commercial VM's ONLY support that anyway)
And besides how do you know what they will support? nobody confirmed anything and nobody has to, it's not their job to.
If you're really worried about it maybe you should jump into the dev work seeing as it's an open source project why not read up and at least get some idea of how this actually works.

Standing on the sidelines saying what will and will not happen based on negative assumptions doesn't help anyone, don't count the eggs before they've hatched, especially when you're getting a free product that you can only stand to gain from.
smoohta
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows XP

Post by smoohta »

ed_co wrote:If you're really worried about it maybe you should jump into the dev work seeing as it's an open source project why not read up and at least get some idea of how this actually works.
I actually wanted to see if any progress was made on this so I looked at VB's trunk.
I don't know what's the "usual" working procedure for VirtualBox development (when/how devs commit code to the trunk etc...) but looking at the webby source viewer (http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/trunk ... /Additions) stubs were added for Darwin in the Makefile but there's no Darwin working directory- meaning none of the actual work has been commited yet (though the ground for it has been laid) so unfortunately, there's nothing yet to look at :)

Anyway, I agree with OmegaX- why even speculate? we'll just have to wait and see :)
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

smoohta wrote:meaning none of the actual work has been commited yet (though the ground for it has been laid) so unfortunately, there's nothing yet to look at
This is partly true. There are two (2) SVN repositories the devs use. One is for the OSE edition that you can look into freely, and one is the closed or PUEL edition SVN where closed source code is produced (like USB and VRDP). This can very well mean that the Mac GA will be closed source. That wouldn't be a surprise, because it might give users some idea how the OS implementation is done. I've also heard that there are (or were) ideas to make Mac OSX support for PUEL only. Since I haven't heard any user here with the OSE trying to run Mac OSX, I can't confirm nor deny this 'rumour'.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
ed_co

Post by ed_co »

Too much time waiting, and without notice.
Last edited by ed_co on 18. Oct 2010, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Such a bad attitude. And it cost you nothing. So sad.
jamesensor
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: SL

Post by jamesensor »

Best virtualization software around... how's this for attitude? :D

Sorry about spamming the obvious, cheers for this project, everyone envolved since the start has done a great work :)

Regards.