File sharing for idiots?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Jo_W

File sharing for idiots?

Post by Jo_W »

Hi All. I am running virtual box 1.6.0 on a Mac OS X 10.5.2. The guest is running XP. I am trying hard to set up file sharing without much luck. The manual is a bit above my tech skills so I am begging for help.

I have defined a shared folder under "settings" in the Sun xVM VirtualBox but am unsure how to access it from within the XP guest?

Thanks in advance for your help (and patience)
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

After you set up the folder in the settings menu, you can easily connect to it from within windows because it is treated as a virtual network share.

So you just have to open a command window: Start->Run... and type "cmd"
into the box.
In the opened terminal window you enter the following command:

net use x: \\vboxsvr\sharename

Mind the backslashes and the space between "x:" and the path.
Of course you have to replace "sharename" with the name of the folder you set up in VirtualBox for sharing.

If you don't get any error message everything went fine and you can access the network drive "x:" using the Explorer.
Macduzzit
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win XP Home

Re: File sharing for idiots?

Post by Macduzzit »

Thanks m@riposa, you are my genius. Once its explained in plain english it worked in 2 seconds! I now have sharing between OSX 10.6.2 and guest XP. Thanks a heap 'em!
swat4
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winXP

Post by swat4 »

I have the same problem, it doesn't work.
I have tried all, but it is not possible to use a shared folder.

My Folder on MacOS 1.6.2 is at "/Users/Richard/Documents/winxp"
Sharename is: winxp

On WinXP: Start->Run... and type "cmd" -> net use x: \\vboxsvr\winxp

I get the Message: Systemerror 53

Could you help me? What is the reason?

Thanks
Richard
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

swat4 wrote:I have the same problem, it doesn't work.
When you start up VirtualBox and before you power on your VM, if you go to Machine > Settings > Shared Folders, does your shared folder show in the Folders List?
spanish yank
Guest OSses: XP

Post by spanish yank »

hi

i installed vbox 3.1.2 on my macbook os 10.5.8 leopard, running xp sp2 as guest. i have scoured thru all the filing sharing threads but nothing seems to help. my xp host doesnt reconize anywhere the folder i have destined as shared. cant use the command line in run because i cant find backslash on my key board, sounds silly but i have tried. any help there?¿?¿?? the folder i want to share is reconized in vbox before i start xp & also along the bottom task bar once running, so its where it should be. its xp that doesnt find it. have changed setting in explorer - tools - general - view folders but it still doesnt show up in my networking places. installed guest additions 3.1.0

would really appreciate some help here in basic language as i´m not a computer whiz.

to get around it for the moment i finally got xp to reconize my pen drive so i just load files to there from the mac, eject it from the mac & xp picks it up as soon as its shut down. apart from the file sharing glitch, everything works great on the xp.

thxs from a happy new member of the mac family
Vilmart
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win XP

Post by Vilmart »

My setup is Mac OS 10.6.2, VirtualBox 3.1.2, Windows XP SP2 and I'm having the same problem with shared folders. I have followed all those instruction that are described here, but with no luck. I can't even get a USB memory stick to be recognized in the winxp. At the moment the only way to pass files is to e-mail them to me. Which is not very neat.

BTW. I don't know where I get the VBox version name...
WyreFlyer
Guest OSses: windows 7

Post by WyreFlyer »

I would just like to thank m@riposa for his post, it has just worked great for me. I'm running Windows 7 on Snow Leoppard.
I set up a file in finder for shared files, then in settings for Vbox,before loading Windows, I used the drop down options to the file path for the file I created in finder.
The only problem I had was Windows 7 doesn't have a "run" box, in search type "command' and then clicking on it opens a terminal window in which you can type the instructions given by m@riposa.
If you type it right and get no errors, close the terminal window.
Open "my computer" in Windows and there will be your shared network location, for you to drop/take files from.
Thanks to all on here for such a fantastic resource of help and knowledge. :D :D :D :D :D :D
twaddlac
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: CentOS (Red Hat)

Post by twaddlac »

I am running CentOS (guest) on Windows 7. Is the setup the same as you said?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

twaddlac wrote:I am running CentOS (guest) on Windows 7. Is the setup the same as you said?
Wrong place to ask this, as you aren't running Mac OS as host, but if your Guest is Linux > Howto: Use Shared Folders
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
cvalencia
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by cvalencia »

Hi everybody:.

I read all the posts for resolve my problem but I can`t achieve it
I have win xp 32 bits using virtualbox to mount Ubuntu. Installed vboxadd but I don´t know if it installed correctly. I shared a folder with the settings in VM.
I try to map a network in my win xp,but I can not find in the Entire Network-->VirtualBox Shared Folders. I try it with the comand L:\Documents and Settings\cvalencia>net use l: \\vboxsvr\Ubuntu but it shows:
system Error 85.

can you help me please?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Best is to use "Auto-mount" feature of VBox v4.0.
Dangerfrog

Post by Dangerfrog »

If you are getting the type 53 error, you need to go to the Virtualbox "Devices" menu and install guest additions. Then when you run the command line command, the shared drive will mount as a network share.