Fedora13 guest on OSX- OpenGL/Compiz not working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
backvan
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

Fedora13 guest on OSX- OpenGL/Compiz not working

Post by backvan »

I am running VB 3.2.4 on my 27" iMac quad i7 processor (Snow Leopard 10.6.3) with Fedora 13 (x86 32 bit) as a guest. I updated Fedora 13 as follows
yum upgraade
yum install dkms
yum install gcc
Then I built the Guest Additions without any apparent errors. Shared Folders work OK and screen resolution in Fedora is increased to 2560x1400. With the Fedora guest shut down, I have set the VB Display to enable 3D acceleration. After Fedora 13 is booted again, when I select System=>Preferences=>Desktop Effects, the whole iMac frezzes up. I have to power down with the Power Button. Otherwise, the iMac is rock solid. I did get to the Standard/Compiz window to display just one time.

I've done this exact (almost) setup on a miniMac with 1 gb RAM. Only difference is the miniMac is running OSX Leopard (10.5.8). On the miniMac, I selected "Compiz" with the rotating Cube and Wobbly Windows and all works well, other than being a little slow. Also the miniMac is running VB 3.2.4, same as my iMac.

Other than the graphics card is different, I don't what the difference might be.

Ideas?
bobm
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Fedora

Re: Fedora13 guest on OSX- OpenGL/Compiz not working

Post by bobm »

Same for me. 2009 iMac i5. I copied the image over to my 2010 macbookpro 13" and enabled compiz. It works just fine on the mbp but when I copied the image back to the iMac and try to run, it freezes the machine (hard). I have to pull the power cord to get it back. It freezes at the point when the graphics mode comes up.

The fedora 13 was downloaded today.

I'm temped to go to 3.1 and see if it works there.

I like the 3.2 release so maybe fedora 12 might be a better approach to take.
bobm
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Fedora

Re: Fedora13 guest on OSX- OpenGL/Compiz not working

Post by bobm »

As a followup I get system lockup with fedora 11 when trying enable display enhancements. It's on a 2009 iMac i5