A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. Windows 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tiger1
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP64, Windows 7-64

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. Windows 7

Post by tiger1 »

Hello,
I am new to VirtualBox, but I did successfully load WinXP Pro 64 and it works beautifully. Now I am trying to install Windows 7-64 bit on a brand new 13" Macbook Pro.
Shortly after the installation begins I get the following error message. I cannot click "Next" to get around it to complete the installation. I cannot find a driver to help solve it. Any help would be appreciated!

ERROR MESSAGE:
"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.
Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

The Windows 7 installation DVD is in the drive when this error message occurs.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. Windows 7

Post by Martin »

Is this a bought DVD or did you download it? This error message appears in most cases when there was a problem downloading the DVD image. One sign for a bad download is a DVD size of exactly 2GB.
tiger1

Post by tiger1 »

I downloaded it. I will retry the download and post the result. Thanks for the quick response!
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

With a download, you should always have file hashes to compare it to. The 'missing driver' is almost always the cause of a faulty ISO, as stated above.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
tiger1

Post by tiger1 »

That must have been it. I downloaded it again and it worked fine. MY NEW PROBLEM is that I left my mac on with the Windows 7 virtual machine running and when I came back two hours later the Mac screen saver was frozen on the screen. I had to force the macbook pro off by holding the power button down. Now when I try to turn it back on I get a black screen with a blinking cursor and then a message that says there is no bootable device - almost like it is trying to boot into windows 7. The windows 7 dvd is still in the drive and I can't remove it. Booting holding option key does nothing. Any suggestions?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Dump the Mac and get a PC? :P

Sorry, I don't have a Mac (thankfully :P). I doubt this boot problem is caused by VB, but I have no idea what a forced power down does to Mac OSX. I do know that Windows can sometimes jump to an error and fail to boot, but you see something at least. Linux doesn't have much problems with a sudden shut down. I would guess that Mac OSX doesn't either.

As for the screen freezing, it's probably because it kicked in automatically, and you still had the VM up front with your keyboard and mouse grabbed, then locked itself too (activate screensaver). This is a real killer, because the moment the Host enters the screensaver state while the Guest still holds the keyboard and mouse, it doesn't give it back. It also appears that the Guest doesn't respond to input either, rendering a blind shutdown impossible.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Entegy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 x64, XP SP3, Server 2008 R2, Fedora 13 x86/x64

Post by Entegy »

Uhhh wait I need clarification here. Did you download the ISO, burn it to a CD and then let VirtualBox use the physical disc drive? Or did you mount the ISO in VB for the virtual machine to use?

If it's the first option, try starting up the Mac while holding Eject to get the disc out. If it's the second, go into the vm's settings>Storage and set the disc drive to "empty"