Convert Dynamic to Fixed HD

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
stanley

Convert Dynamic to Fixed HD

Post by stanley »

I have not been able to find any way to convert an existing vdi from dynamic HD to fixed HD. Neither have I found any way to clone a dynamic HD vdi to a fixed disk HDI. I think I need a fixed HD because some antique software runs out of memory when the dynamic HD has plenty left to expand into. :cry:
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Convert Dynamic to Fixed HD

Post by mpack »

stanley wrote:I think I need a fixed HD because some antique software runs out of memory when the dynamic HD has plenty left to expand into. :cry:
That makes no sense. The guest has no way to detect the difference between a fixed vs dynamic disk, hence there is no possibility that your guess is correct.

More likely is that you made the maximum drive size too small (dynamic drive files grow to a maximum size selected at creation time, and will not grow above that size limit). Alternatively, the drives main partition was formatted with FAT32 and a file has reached 4GB in size, the FAT32 filesize limit.

If the former is the problem then the drive max size can be increased using the CloneVDI tool - this tool runs natively on Windows hosts, it can also run under Wine or inside a Windows XP+ VM.
Forastan
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Forastan »

That makes no sense. The guest has no way to detect the difference between a fixed vs dynamic disk, hence there is no possibility that your guess is correct.
-----Why would the guest be detecting the difference? My comment was that the dynamic expansion failed to operate properly, and I guessed that it was caused by the use of DOS.

More likely is that you made the maximum drive size too small (dynamic drive files grow to a maximum size selected at creation time, and will not grow above that size limit). Alternatively, the drives main partition was formatted with FAT32 and a file has reached 4GB in size, the FAT32 filesize limit.
-----The maximum drive size was 35Gbytes, and it stopped expanding at 9.7Gbytes or thereabouts

If the former is the problem then the drive max size can be increased using the CloneVDI tool - this tool runs natively on Windows hosts, it can also run under Wine or inside a Windows XP+ VM.
-----I had already used the CloneVDI tool to expand the drive up to 35Gbytes, but my WinXP did not expand the dynamic size properly after the expansion was done. VBox correctly indicates the max size is 35Gbytes.

-----Thanks for your comments. I would appreciate any further suggestions about what to do, or an answer to my question about converting from dynamic to fixed memory so I can test my theory.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please use the "Quote" feature, it provides visual cues which make it easier to read your responses.

In direct answer to your original question, the user manual tells you how to create a fixed size HDD clone: "VBoxManage clonehd <srcfile.vdi> <dstfile.vdi> --variant Fixed". Make sure you have plenty of disk space.
Forastan wrote:
mpack wrote:That makes no sense. The guest has no way to detect the difference between a fixed vs dynamic disk
Why would the guest be detecting the difference? My comment was that the dynamic expansion failed to operate properly, and I guessed that it was caused by the use of DOS.
If a guest behaved differently with fixed vs dynamic VDI then that would imply that, however indirectly, it is able to detect the difference between those two formats. Since that ability is definitely not possible (for technical reasons I won't get into here), it means that the unwanted behaviour you see cannot be caused by this difference.
Forastan wrote:
mpack wrote:More likely is that you made the maximum drive size too small (dynamic drive files grow to a maximum size selected at creation time, and will not grow above that size limit).
The maximum drive size was 35Gbytes, and it stopped expanding at 9.7Gbytes or thereabouts
Then you tell me! The application is telling you it ran out of disk space in the guest filesystem. That usually means that the partition is too small (the only other time it happens is with the FAT32 issue I mentioned). If you already expanded the drive size, did you also remember to expand the partition?

I think you have a misunderstanding about dynamic disks. They are not "dynamically expanding" in the sense that you seem to expect - no guest OS I know of has support for disk drives or partitions that change dynamically in apparant size. A dynamic disk is instead "dynamically allocated"; meaning that to the guest it's a fixed size disk as always (which is one reason why it can't tell the difference between dynamic vs fixed), but host space for each 1MB block of the disk is only allocated when that block is first written to by the guest. There is no corresponding shrinkage feature - the disk can only grow on demand until all blocks are allocated, then it's the same as a fixed VDI. In other words the only difference between fixed and dynamic is that the former has all of its blocks allocated at creation time, the latter allocates each block on demand. Both drives have the same number of blocks, i.e. the same capacity, hence both will run out of space at the same time as far as the guest OS is concerned. If the host ran out of space first then the guest would see a write error, not an "out of space" error.
Forastan
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Forastan »

Problem solved. I created a fixed size VM, loaded the applications just as before, and did not get the Out of Space error that I got with the dynamically expanding storage. My hypothesis appears to be correct; the antique DOS-based programs I am using do not interface well with the VM software that dynamically expands the hard drive up to the stated capacity. Googling this states that it is not only my program that had this problem and going to fixed-size disks solves it.

I'll just use fixed-size disks whenever I have old software with huge storage requirements that I need to run. The problem likely doesn't occur too often, so I don't suppose it is worthwhile putting in a change request. Also, the software I use is not publically available, so I don't know a VB person would be able to test the change.

Thanks to all!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Forastan wrote:Problem solved. I created a fixed size VM, loaded the applications just as before, and did not get the Out of Space error that I got with the dynamically expanding storage. My hypothesis appears to be correct;
No, your hypothesis is impossible, as I already told you at some length. The significant change you undoubtedly made here is that when you created a new and larger hdd, you also created a new and larger partition to fill it (unlike before when you enlarged the hdd but neglected to resize the partition). The fact that the new hdd has a fixed size is completely irrelevant.
Master Control
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Post by Master Control »

The source can be a dynamic VDI, and it will produce a "fixed" size VDI at the destination.

Code: Select all

VBoxManage clonehd <path/to/source.vdi> <path/to/destination.vdi> --variant Fixed
End of Line.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Way to miss the point! In any case that info was already given - 2nd para of 4th message.