Discuss: Mac OS X guest sound support driver

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
OmegaX
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OS X Snow Leopard

Re: Mac OS X guest sound support driver UPDATE [See Attachment]

Post by OmegaX »

Takwing,
I have an idea for you to try it's actually the conclusion I came to after noticing that NullCPUPowerManagement causes sporadic glitches on my VM, what I ended up doing was trashing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext(NullCPUPowerManagement's sole purpose is to block this kext).

Removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement all together fixed some random glitches and hang ups I had with NullCPUPM and may fix the sound issue for you too.

The only real downside of this method is that when installing a point release update like 10.6.4 in the future it will put that kext back and you'll need to delete it again.

As for the dependency warnings those are normal for this kext and shouldn't effect it, if you look in system profiler the dependencies are met for the extension.
dganesh
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OS X 64

Post by dganesh »

OmegaX wrote:
paulscode wrote:This doesn't seem to work for me. My host is Ubuntu Lucid 64-bit, VB is 3.2 Beta2, guest is Snow Leopard 10.6.3. I tried both the package installer method and the manual install method. In both cases, the guest freezes when shutting down, requiring me to power it off manually. After firing back up, there is still no sound and the System Preferences->Sound window shows "No output devices found".

Note, my Snow Leopard guest is running in 64-bit mode (seems to be required for some reason, probably since the host is 64-bit). Do you know if that could be causing a problem?
I forgot to mention this but the driver is only 32-bit, thats why it's not loading when you're in 64-bit mode. I'm going to try to work on a 64-bit compatible driver but for now you could run in 32-bit to get sound support working, you aren't required to run the guest as 64-bit on 64-bit hardware, I run mine in 32-bit on my 64-bit Core 2 Duo system.

I'll edit the topic to make it known it's currently 32-bit only.

Hi OmegaX,

Have the same problem as paulscode above. I am running VB 3.2.0 on Host(Win 7 x64), running Guest(Snow Leopard 64). I can't get OS X 32 bit to work on the Win7 64 bit machine, which is why I am using the 64 bit OS X.

Could you give me some pointers on how to build a 64 bit driver? Would I be able to take the source link you have provided here, and compile it for 64 bit somehow>?

Thanks,
-Ganesh
OmegaX

Post by OmegaX »

Hi OmegaX,

Have the same problem as paulscode above. I am running VB 3.2.0 on Host(Win 7 x64), running Guest(Snow Leopard 64). I can't get OS X 32 bit to work on the Win7 64 bit machine, which is why I am using the 64 bit OS X.

Could you give me some pointers on how to build a 64 bit driver? Would I be able to take the source link you have provided here, and compile it for 64 bit somehow>?

Thanks,
-Ganesh
I haven't converted the code to 64 bit myself, but I found that someone posted a compiled 32-64 bit kext here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=206495

You could try that but when I tried that kext with VB's audio adapter device ID it had audio anomalies like off pitch sound.

Alternatively you should just be able to change your guest type to OS X instead of OS X 64 bit, it'll let you do that without having to reinstall and you'll still be able to run 64 bit code under the 32 bit kernel Snow Leopard uses.

I'll keep working on this project some more but currently i'm recuperating from a medical procedure, still trying to help out here as I can though.
takwing
Guest OSses: winxp, Leopard, Snow Leopard, , Win7, ubuntu 9.10

Post by takwing »

OmegaX wrote:Takwing,
I have an idea for you to try it's actually the conclusion I came to after noticing that NullCPUPowerManagement causes sporadic glitches on my VM, what I ended up doing was trashing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext(NullCPUPowerManagement's sole purpose is to block this kext).

Removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement all together fixed some random glitches and hang ups I had with NullCPUPM and may fix the sound issue for you too.

The only real downside of this method is that when installing a point release update like 10.6.4 in the future it will put that kext back and you'll need to delete it again.

As for the dependency warnings those are normal for this kext and shouldn't effect it, if you look in system profiler the dependencies are met for the extension.
OmegaX,

My problem now is not having soud interruption... my problem is "there is only ssound in the right channel".... it sounds like to me the problem is caused by getting a "balanced" sound level for the left-and-right channel.

Please note my findings in trying to adjust the sound balance via the sound preference.
come and visit my technical page:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/index.php
CorneliousJD
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu, Mac OS X

Post by CorneliousJD »

After installing this, I now have no sound, going into system preferences and then sound says no output devices found?...

Is there a way i can undo this change?
OmegaX

Post by OmegaX »

CorneliousJD wrote:After installing this, I now have no sound, going into system preferences and then sound says no output devices found?...

Is there a way i can undo this change?
OS X doesn't have a native driver for VB's emulated sound card so are you saying you had sound before you installed this in your guest?

If you didn't have sound before and installed this and still don't chances are your OS X VM is running in 64-bit kernel mode and this driver is only 32-bit at the moment, you can try changing your VM settings to "Mac OS X Server" instead of "Mac OSX Server (64-bit)" to see if that enables the driver.

If you want to uninstall the driver go to /System/Library/Extensions and trash AppleAC97Audio.kext and restart the VM.

If you had sound before installing this driver what did you install before hand to get sound?
CorneliousJD
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu, Mac OS X

Post by CorneliousJD »

Sent you a PM about my pre-existing sound kext.
visualise
Guest OSses: nix

Post by visualise »

This doesn't seem to be working on virtualbox 3.2.4 :(

My VM is set to Mac OS X Server (32-bit) and is running Leopard.

I used the installer and it installed perfectly, I see a volume icon (set to full) and "Line Out - AC97 Audio (PCM)" listed in sound under System Preferences, but there's NO SOUND!!

System sounds don't play, youtube, mp3's etc... so any ideas?

Thanks
visualise
Guest OSses: nix

Post by visualise »

It works after playing with the volume, but it only works on one channel at a time (left/right) and stutters a lot :(
Kariddi
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Kariddi »

@visualise: this is the same thing that happens to me. I tried NullCPUPowerManagement and I also tried removing all the power management modules , but nothing changes the situation.

We'll have to wait for a better driver version for seeing these issues addressed. In the meantime is good at least hearing some audio feedback :)
Kariddi
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Kariddi »

I found this website :
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index ... rtyDrivers

Is a list of drivers for macosx. The first in the list of Audio section is our AC97 one and in the comments is written "Sound tends to come out of left speaker only on some chipsets."

So it seems to be a common problem
junkinternetmail
Guest OSses: OSX

Post by junkinternetmail »

10.6.4 update broke the VM's audio. Has anyone encountered this problem and possibly figured out a solution?
OmegaX

Post by OmegaX »

junkinternetmail wrote:10.6.4 update broke the VM's audio. Has anyone encountered this problem and possibly figured out a solution?
Delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/
and Extensions.mkext from /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/

Any major update will replace that kext which causes havoc with audio and performance in general on vbox.
takwing
Guest OSses: winxp, Leopard, Snow Leopard, , Win7, ubuntu 9.10

Post by takwing »

junkinternetmail wrote:10.6.4 update broke the VM's audio. Has anyone encountered this problem and possibly figured out a solution?
You can also refer to my sharing in installing 10.6.4:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/ ... _1064.html
come and visit my technical page:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/index.php
junkinternetmail
Guest OSses: OSX

Post by junkinternetmail »

Let me clarify...

I never had audio -- I installed from a 10.6 Retail DL DVD and then ran 10.6.4 update via software update.

I removed the kext and caches recommended and utilized the installer found on the blog of Takwing.

Booting using the bootflag: arch=i386 enabled a detected audio device...however nothing I tried actually made audio come out of my speakers.

I also attempted using fakesmc v2.7 which does indeed boot however it adds substantial amounts of time to the VM's boot, well over 60 seconds compared to the previous 30+ seconds previously using fakesmc 2.5.

I'd like to get this audio issue sorted and then perhaps open a discussion on which kexts are actually needed vs which ones may enhance VM performance...