Drag and Drop in VirtualBox?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
reiner1992

Drag and Drop in VirtualBox?

Post by reiner1992 »

Is it possible to include Drag and Drop feature in the next version/next bug fix (1.5.2) of VirtualBox?
newhere123

Post by newhere123 »

I second this suggestion. It would be very nice to be able to drag a file from one OS the the other.
atomica

Post by atomica »

I also hope this will be implemented. This is the only function that I miss from Microsoft Virtual PC.

Although sharing folders makes it easy to copy over files, nothing beats drag and drop.

Thanks!
einsiol
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Solaris

Re: Drag and Drop in VirtualBox?

Post by einsiol »

Yes, I think this is one of the features VirtualBox needs to keep in cobatition with the other Virtual Programs.

If this would work for Windows vs. UNIX/UNIX-like, this would be come (for me) the best Virtual Program out there :)
cabr1to
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by cabr1to »

Currently I am using a shared folders which works well enough. I just mount "P:" in my guest Windows XP session to point to a "Public" folder in my home dir. That said, ever since switching host systems from Ubuntu to Mac OS X (on a rather beefy MB Pro) this has been noticeably slower. Also, every so often I have a client that requires a draconian VPN connection which shuts down this link.

I found this bug ticket #81 in the feature requests:

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/81

Seems there's been some new activity on this front. Perhaps you might ask there for an update? I'm holding out that I won't have to shell out $100 for Parallels...
Vjekoslav
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: win 7,vista,xp

Post by Vjekoslav »

i think that is not so hard to make. i have an idea how it can be done. i put c:\document and setting\user_name\desktop on share(on virtual pc) and allow net user to write on it.the i simple on main pc map that network map and now i can simply drop it in my virtual windows 7. now i know that can be simply add to virtual box guest additions .i try to make it but the problem is i don't now virtual box source so good to make it acctual drag and drop effekt .i hope i hellp someone.and guys sorry for my poor?2 english im from croatia :) :) :) :) :)
joe57
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7, WinXP, Win2k8 Server, Linux SUSE 11

Post by joe57 »

I strongly support requests for having drag & drop capabilities in VB. This is a dark black area since years for VB. All other virtualization platforms like VMWARE and VirtualPC support this for a very long time. I don't understand this ignorance on the VB development side. In the meantime this is a must for any serious virtualization software if it is expected to be used within the typical end user community - this is the majority of users!
Missing the drag & drop features is a major drawback for a otherwise excellent product!

I really recommend to have a reevaluation on the current development priorities. I am also very interested what other things about this feature as a high priority candidate for the next VB release.
joulesbeef
Guest OSses: w/e

Post by joulesbeef »

yeah what is this 2010? are their patents or something?
I love Virtual Box.. I think it would be the best VM there is.. but in my book it is the worst, without drag and drop.

It's just silly at this point for it to not having it.

I keep trying it again.. hoping one day yall will add it. but at last, no.

I can not recommend this product or use this product without the minimal functionality that people have come to expect.
twistedlincoln
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Nexradix

Post by twistedlincoln »

I'd love to see this feature! It would especially be great when using Seamless mode, as the file manager in the Guest OS could operate as it would normally.
djtomr941
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows, OEL

Post by djtomr941 »

This would be a good feature. If the Host is Windows and Guest is Windows use SMB. If it is Windows to Linux or vice/versa, install SMB as part of the VBox tools. If it is OSX/Linux/Solaris to eachother, you can use scp but you could as easily use SMB. (yes I know, a windows protocol).
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Developers say, that it is very hard for them to do it. (Huihong Luo said this)

But me too, would really like to see this feature.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

drag'n'drop was the feature i most hated about vmware, it was truly awful and was slow as hell.

just use scp/smb/nfs/ftp, its not hard and performs better, or even use a usb drive!

i'd much rather the devs work on other features than drag'n'drop - i don't even use the shared clipboard for copy'n'paste.
Onlyme
Guest OSses: XP, Windows 7

Post by Onlyme »

We currently purchase 6 licenses in my department, and 40+ licenses throughout my company of VMware. Drag and Drop is the only thing that is stopping us from making the switch to VirtualBox. With the way that we do things when working with VMware, switching to shared drives would be too time consuming and inconvenient. Drag and Drop was used by me yesterday alone over 100 times as I worked with 5 different VMs.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

Onlyme wrote:We currently purchase 6 licenses in my department, and 40+ licenses throughout my company of VMware. Drag and Drop is the only thing that is stopping us from making the switch to VirtualBox. With the way that we do things when working with VMware, switching to shared drives would be too time consuming and inconvenient. Drag and Drop was used by me yesterday alone over 100 times as I worked with 5 different VMs.
i don't think i do anything 100 times a day - what do you do that much to make it a killer feature?

i think you need to automate your work a lot more if you have to copy files using the mouse 100 times a day!

don't forget that drag'n'drop like shared folders would require guest additions, cifs/nfs don't.
Last edited by sej7278 on 30. May 2010, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
varu0612
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: CentOS, RH

Post by varu0612 »

I'd love to have this feature!! 8)