3D Acceleration Support

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
pete_21
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Re: 3D Acceleration Support

Post by pete_21 »

Thanks. Have you got any info, when it will be?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Rumors say, that it may happen this year...
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

VirtualBox already supports OpenGL very well.

Try it.
You can also compare VirtualBox OpenGL to VMGL, and tell us about performance/stability/features differences...
lisaorton
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: xp

Post by lisaorton »

Running virtualized operating systems on top of existing hosts is a great idea. It's fun, it's cool, it allows you to experiment with software before committing to your real platform, it allows you to do things you would not normally dare, it gives you enormous flexibility, and it significantly reduces costs of deployment.
sdw162006
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OpenSUSE, DSL Linux, WIndows 2000, Windows XP, Sabayon Linux

Post by sdw162006 »

Actually, using Windows XP SP3 guest, Windows 7 host, installing the additions didn't work right (DXCapsViewer didn't see the card). Rebooting in safe mode and re-running the Guest Additions installer, then rebooting again, made it work. The card shows up as a GeForce FX 5200.
How come I see people saying their VB shows up as some GeForce FX 5200 card, or GeForce 3 card and stuff???
Mine shows "VirtualBox Display Adapter" even after I've installed the GA several times, even twice in safe mode.
I'm currently using 3.2.8. I install GA after each upgrade, since 2.x The enable 3d acceleration is always turned on in the host, and I always install GA in safe mode and reboot the VM. Running Windows XP Pro 32bit, on a Vista 32bit host
What do I need to do to get DirectX 3D to work.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

sdw162006: several API's show VBox card differently.

Windows GDI 2D and DirectDraw shows card as "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter"
OpenGL shows the VBox card card as "Chromium"
Direct3D shows the card as either GeForce FX 5200 or GeForce 3, depending on version of VirtualBox/WineD3D. In doesn't depend on your real card.

So different programs inside guest show it differently.
But I agree, this is misleading, and better should be shown as "VirtualBox Graphics Adapter" in all places.

Opened Wish #7340

-Technologov
Silver4
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Silver4 »

This is my first post. So i just want to say VirtualBox is a "masterpiece" software for me! Thanks to all that make it possible for me to use it. Now straight to the business. I have:

Ubuntu 10.04 (10.10 in near future) Host OS
Win XP SP3 Guest OS
CAD program installed on Guest OS. So OpenGL is important for 3D.
I use VirtualBox 3.2.8
nVidia card
Closed source nVidia driver for Ubuntu Host
Graphic card is older gaming card 6 series but it works fine under Ubuntu.

The work i do i can use VirtualBox. It is powerful enough to run it and i don't have to use dual boot. But if there is room for better performance i don't mind. Now the questions i have.

1.) If i enable "experimental" 3D support when installing Guest additions for Guest (Win XP) OS. What do i get with that. Better OpenGL support?
2.) Does "experimental" 3D support require that on Settings tab for XP Virtual Machine i enable 2D and (or) 3D support. Or is that entirely different thing?
3.) Should i have graphic card that supports virtualization to enable 2D and 3D support under VM settings. Or it will work with any graphic card.
4.) Is it normal if i enable 2D and (or) 3D support that Win XP Guest OS is more unstable than when i disable it.
5.) What is the "ultimate" graphic card to use with Virtual Box
6.) Does it matter what kind of graphic drivers are installed on guest OS. (Closed source or open source)
7.) When is new version of VirtualBox scheduled to be released and does it have improvements in 3D support.
8.) Is Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 better to use with VirtualBox 3.2.8 or are they much alike
9.) Are there any unofficial "hacks" for better OpenGL support in VB.
10.) :wink:
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

1.) If i enable "experimental" 3D support when installing Guest additions for Guest (Win XP) OS. What do i get with that. Better OpenGL support?
You get most of the features of real 3D card + better performance.

2.) Does "experimental" 3D support require that on Settings tab for XP Virtual Machine i enable 2D and (or) 3D support. Or is that entirely different thing?
3D support only is needed.

3.) Should i have graphic card that supports virtualization to enable 2D and 3D support under VM settings. Or it will work with any graphic card.
No video card today support virtualization in hardware. 3D virtualization is done in software, so it will work with any graphic card, that supports OpenGL.

4.) Is it normal if i enable 2D and (or) 3D support that Win XP Guest OS is more unstable than when i disable it.
It may decrease stability and security in certain cases, but in general it should work.

5.) What is the "ultimate" graphic card to use with Virtual Box
huh? The best one. ATI Radeon HD 5970. :) ^^
Really, any OpenGL-compliant 3D card should work fine. (all modern cards available today on market)

6.) Does it matter what kind of graphic drivers are installed on guest OS. (Closed source or open source)
You must install *only* virtualbox drivers (aka Guest Additions) -- your ATI/NVIDIA drivers must NOT be installed in guest OS.

7.) When is new version of VirtualBox scheduled to be released and does it have improvements in 3D support.
Release when it is ready, and yes, it will have better 3D support. There is a chance to see it this year.

8.) Is Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10 better to use with VirtualBox 3.2.8 or are they much alike
I think the same -- VirtualBox generally performs the same across all major supported Host OSes -- with preference for 64-bit host OS.

9.) Are there any unofficial "hacks" for better OpenGL support in VB.
Not that I know of.

One more thing:
You can select very few Video Memory for your Guest OS -- like 8 MB - this is only used for 2D.
The slider does not allow you to choose more than 128 MB. Fear not.
For 3D acceleration, VirtualBox *automatically* uses the video RAM available on the host video card.

10.) :wink:
Happy VBoxing.

-Technologov
Silver4

Post by Silver4 »

1.) Basically "more juice" + features from real host graphic card?
2.) I understand. 3D under Settings for XP VM must be turned ON.
3.) I understand.
4.) I understand. I have some stability issues (if the support for 2D and 3D is turned ON) but that is probably normal (more "experimental" new features)
5.) I understand. More horse power -> better. No difference with game vs. pro card (driver -> OpenGL)?
6.) I made a mistake. It should say HOST OS. Does HOST OS graphic card drivers impact on performance of Guest OS. Probably yes if 3D is turned ON? And the difference with open source and closed source drivers should be measurable. Because open source nVidia driver is behind in performance from binary driver nVidia provides?
7.) I understand.
8.) I understand.
9.)
One more thing:
You can select very few Video Memory for your Guest OS -- like 8 MB - this is only used for 2D.
The slider does not allow you to choose more than 128 MB. Fear not.
For 3D acceleration, VirtualBox *automatically* uses the video RAM available on the host video card.
I lowered the value. It was 100MB. If i enable 2D. Then the same thing as with 3D? More "2D juice" + features from the real card?
10.) I understand. :wink:
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

1.) Basically "more juice" + features from real host graphic card?
---
Yes.

5.) I understand. More horse power -> better. No difference with game vs. pro card (driver -> OpenGL)?
---
I dunno, because I don't use the "pro" applications (3D Studio MAX). Only normal 3D applications (Google Earth) & 3D games.
I don't know if the advantage of the "Pro" cards (Quadro/FireGL) are to be forwarded to the VM or not, but for games ATI Radeon HD 5970 is the best.

6.) I made a mistake. It should say HOST OS. Does HOST OS graphic card drivers impact on performance of Guest OS. Probably yes if 3D is turned ON? And the difference with open source and closed source drivers should be measurable. Because open source nVidia driver is behind in performance from binary driver nVidia provides?
---
Of course it does. You need proprietary drivers on host for best performance.

9) I lowered the value. It was 100MB. If i enable 2D. Then the same thing as with 3D? More "2D juice" + features from the real card?
---
You can lower it to 8MB, and 3D will run fine.
2D acceleration is for DirectDraw overlays AFAIK, and if you enable 2D acceleration you must set the Video RAM to 32 MB.

-Technologov
marco

Post by marco »

Technologov wrote:...There is a chance to see it this year...
I presume you are talking about next major release, not maintenance ones.

Anyway, is there any place to look at to get an idea, at least a rough one, of the planned VBox roadmap?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

marco:
>I presume you are talking about next major release, not maintenance ones.
Yes. Ofc.

As for roadmap -- there is none.
But you can look at SVN commits, compile sources, and make an educated guess.

Ofc. there are always surprises :) such as VDE network support that someone committed relatively late during the development cycle, but I have acted swiftly and tested the technology, and pushed it into 3.2.0.
Silver4

Post by Silver4 »

@Technologov

Now i know everything. Thanks for your time. You explained everything to me!
stankrugger
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows7

Re: 3D Acceleration Support and why it wont happen anytime s

Post by stankrugger »

AVonGauss wrote:I don't believe VMware Fusion has any additional 3D support beyond that of the normal VMware Workstation product, which if I remember correctly is limited to DirectX 8.
Yes, You are saying right i am also using VMware Workstation product and i also believe that VMware Fusion has not additional 3D support.
I like to use internet phone for VoIP Calling