Setting up serial ports gives error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
chriscrutch

Setting up serial ports gives error

Post by chriscrutch »

I/m running VB 1.52 on a Suse 10.3 host. Trying to get a serial port working in an XP guest. In the settings for my XP VM, I enable port 0 as COM1, host device, /dev/ttyS0. Then I try to start the VM and get an error:

Serial device 0 cannot attach to char driver
VBox status code: -38 (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

I've tried with all kinds of different settings and get the same error. The only way I can start the VM is if I set the port type to "Disconnected" or I disable the port completely.

This is my first time doing anything with a serial port in Linux, still kinda a noob. I don't know what my next step should be. I've tried to change the permissions on /dev/ttyS0 but that didn't work either.

What do I do?

--chriscrutch
chriscrutch

Post by chriscrutch »

I updated VirtualBox to version 1.5.4, added myself to the correct user group, and got the VM to run. I got in to XP and added/installed the COM port. I'm still having trouble. VBox is set up to use the port as COM2, but it shows up in Windows as COM1, and I'm not able to get my peripheral to actually communicate through it. I'm trying some more stuff, but sill open to suggestions. Thanks.

--chriscrutch
thpnalb

Post by thpnalb »

Make sure you have added yourself to the system groups "uucp", "dialout" and "modem".

I am able to use the ttySx (real serial) ports on 10.3 with an XP guest ok.

The problem here is getting it to use a usb-serial converter adapter as /dev/ttyUSBx. I had to put the closed-source VB into my laptop, and let XP talk to the usb device, instead of letting linux hand it over to the guest as a serial port.

Tom in NM