Problem with Siemens PC-Adapter

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
herberth
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winXP

Problem with Siemens PC-Adapter

Post by herberth »

Hi Forum,

Until now I've had no problems with virtualbox.
But now I came across an issue I need help with.

I'm trying to connect the Siemens Simatic S7 PC Adapter USB (6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0) to winXP in a VirtualBox; host is Ubuntu.
Problem:
After Installing the Software I plug in the Adapter. XP finds new hardware and starts to install the driver, but does not finish (endless copying s7ocop2x.dll).
After Unplugging the adapter XP shows driver installed; new hardware can be used. But I cannot connect via Siemens Starter.
Another issue is: When the adapter is plugged in, XP does not shutdown and does not start. I've to remove or deactivate the adapter to finish the shutdown or to start the system.

The adapter itself does work as I tested it on the same machine in a dualboot XP.

Does anybody work with this adapter in virtual box on a linux host an have some suggestions?
danube
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP

Re: Problem with Siemens PC-Adapter

Post by danube »

I'm running into totally the same situation, nothing to add. Guess there's some bug in the installation... Hey, it's Siemens! :}

@herberth: Have you solved that already anyhow?

Tom
alex241
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: winxp

Post by alex241 »

I have the same problem. Absolutely as described herberth. Who ever decided this issue?
danube
Guest OSses: WinXP

Post by danube »

Opened a ticket: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7129
Please describe your issues here, developers get informed then.
Tom
alex241
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: winxp

Post by alex241 »

I hope that the developers of VirtualBox will pay attention to this topic, and help in this problem.
csb

Post by csb »

Interestingly, the same problem happens on vmware ... though the usb implementation is probably completely different ;)
So, siemens probably uses the usb port in a way that is not ... normal ...

VMwayer Player 3.1.2 with XP Pro host on opensuse 64.
I only use open source vbox which doesn't support usb.

At least I know now that I don't need to try more virtual machines ...

Yours,
Sebastian
krzysztof85
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by krzysztof85 »

Hi
Did someone managed to solve the problem with PC-Adapter USB?
pando881
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by pando881 »

the problem seems to be still unresolved
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Anything new in this issue? It still exists in VirtualBox 4.2. It only happens when the host is a Linux (tested with Ubuntu 12.04) system. If the same virtual machine is used on a windows host, the PC Adapter works fine. Inside of STEP 7 if you try to search for reachable stations, the PC Adapter itself cannot be reached from the SIMATIC Manager. The Adapter is recognised by the Guest system. Same constellation on a Windows host, with the very same VM is working without changing any drivers or something.
Kai-M-Becker

Post by Kai-M-Becker »

It works with VirtualBox 4.2.12 on Mac OS X host; Win7 Guest, Step 7 5.5.
The same VM on a Win7 host has the same problem: PC Adapter is reported "caught" rsp. "available" in/for the guest, but it's not usable.
The Win7 host shows it in its Device Manager. Deactivating / deinstalling it there has no effect.
FabioLG

Post by FabioLG »

Hi all!!

Using Virtualbox versions 4.3.24 and 4.3.26 over a Linux Mint 17.1 x64, with Win 7/2008 x64 and Step7 5.5 SP2 works fine. But if I update my Step7 5.5 SP2 to SP3 or SP4, this update breaks Simatic PC-Adapter driver.

I don't know if something related host and guest using same architecture (x64) but the cable only works if I check "Enable PAE/NX".
Frederic

Post by Frederic »

Hi,
I have the same problem and i'am in big trouble! (host ubuntu 18.04, guest win xp SP3 32bit, virtualbox 6.1, "pc adapter usb and Step 7 5.4)

"I'm trying to connect the Siemens Simatic S7 PC Adapter USB (6ES7 972-0CB20-0XA0) to winXP in a VirtualBox; host is Ubuntu.
Problem:
After Installing the Software I plug in the Adapter. XP finds new hardware and starts to install the driver, but does not finish (endless copying s7ocop2x.dll).
After Unplugging the adapter XP shows driver installed; new hardware can be used. But I cannot connect via Siemens Starter.
Another issue is: When the adapter is plugged in, XP does not shutdown and does not start. I've to remove or deactivate the adapter to finish the shutdown or to start the system.

The adapter itself does work as I tested it on the same machine in a dualboot XP.

Does anybody work with this adapter in virtual box on a linux host an have some suggestions?"

Is there a solution? Please...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Start here first: USB basics and troubleshooting

Carefully go through 'USB basics and troubleshooting'. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text in

Code: Select all

tags, not screenshots. Zip and post the log step 8 calls for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

Try the USB 3.0 setting.
The USB 2.0 driver has a lot of latency etc, where USB 2 in the USB 3 setting is close to native performance.
Search the forum for how to use USB 3 in a XP guest.
Frederic

Post by Frederic »

With this procedure it works viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74575
("USB 3.0 support in XP guests")
"magic". Thank you!!!!!