Mac OS X guest works in v3.2 !

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Technologov
Volunteer

Mac OS X guest works in v3.2 !

Post by Technologov »

Hi All !

I am successfully installed & running Mac OS X on Mac OS X on my Mac mini ! (Mac OS X Leopard, VBox 3.2.0-BETA1)
Thanks for this feature ! I bet this feature was the hardest in this release,

Network works, the sound does NOT.

Performance is slow, esp graphics rendering. Maybe GuestAdditions can fix it in the future...
Scrolling webpages with images is painfully slow.
Are there any good 2D graphics benchmarks for Mac ? (like Passmark Performance Test)

-Technologov
Technologov
Volunteer

Re: Mac OS X guest

Post by Technologov »

VBox log
Attachments
Mac OS X-2010-04-28-21-32-11.log
Mac OS X on Mac OS X --- VBox.log
(43.92 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: Mac OS X guest

Post by frank »

Regarding graphics: Correct, guest additions will improve this in a future release. Regarding sound: The typical problem with our AC97 emulation and very recent OSes (like with Windows 7).

So far running a benchmark does not make much sense. Keep in mind to disable energy saving like described in the Known Issues section of the user manual (Mac OS X guests).
JakeS
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: (This box isn't long enough to list all 40+)

Re: Mac OS X guest works in v3.2 !

Post by JakeS »

For those who have checked this, maybe you could answer my Q?

I'm wondering, since I can't test this my self (No AMD-V) if this will run on a standard computer? Say, for example an AMD Phenom II, along with Linux as host? or does this require intel/mac hardware?
Installed VirtualBox Version: Oracle VM VirtualBox 3.2.0 Beta 1

Guest OS Installed: Arch Linux, CentOS 4.8, CentOS 5.4, Debian 5.0, Debian Testing, Fedora 6, Fedora 7, Fedora 8, Fedora 9, Fedora 10, Fedora 11, Fedora 12, Fedora Rawhide, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Linux Mint 7, Linux Mint, Mandriva, MS-DOS 6.22, OpenBSD, OpenSolaris, OpenSUSE 11.2, ReactOS, RHEL6, Redhat Linux 9, Scientific Linux 4.8, Slackware, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Ubuntu Testing (10.04), Vixta (Original), Windows 2000 Pro, Windows 2000 Server, Windows 3.11, Windows 7, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Home Server, Windows Longhorn, Windows NT Server, Windows NT Workstation, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2, Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R1, Windows Vista, Windows XP, YLMF
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

It requires Intel Core 2 CPU or above. But only some models are supported. I don't have the complete list.
Won't run on AMD anytime soon... maybe some hacks around CPUID can make it work on AMD too in the future... but this would require a hacker to do it...

As for Host OS, it may run on anything.
PippoX0
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Linux, WinXP

Post by PippoX0 »

Hi,
i tried to install iDeneb on Vb 3.2.0
I cannot use keyborad at botting time ( i would like to enter parametgers ex. -v verbose mode) and Vb beta doesn't get the keyboard ..
There Is a workaround ?? I'm using win32 version of Vb 3.2.0. beta1

Thanks
Last edited by PippoX0 on 29. Apr 2010, 14:59, edited 2 times in total.
mphuff
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu, OS X

Post by mphuff »

PippoX0 wrote:Hi,
i cannot use keyborad at botting time ( i would like to enter parametgers ex. -v verbose mode) and Vb beta doesn't get the keyboard ..
There Is a workaround ?? I'm using win32 version of Vb 3.2.0. beta1

Thanks
I've had problems with that. For me it's solved by unchecking the "enable usb controller" box.
stmiller

Post by stmiller »

I'm getting 'still waiting for root device' trying to install 10.6.

Macbook pro 1,1
Core Duo

I've tried IDE, SATA, SCSI, and SAS hard drive controllers in virtualbox. It doesn't see the hard drive for some reason. Any ideas?

djc6
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: MacOS X

Post by djc6 »

stmiller wrote:I'm getting 'still waiting for root device' trying to install 10.6.

Macbook pro 1,1
Core Duo

I've tried IDE, SATA, SCSI, and SAS hard drive controllers in virtualbox. It doesn't see the hard drive for some reason. Any ideas?
I was experiencing the same problem when I first tried installing Snow Leopard as a guest with 3.2.0 beta 1 on my MacBook Pro 13" (first generation). The first few attempts were done trying to install Snow Leopard from an ISO image of the disc, and thats when I was getting the "still waiting for root device" problem. Later on I burned it to a disc, installed from the disc instead of the ISO, and no more "still waiting for root device".

FYI, you need to use Disk Utility to partition the VirtualBox hard drive before the installer will see it and let you install the OS. That stumped me for a couple minutes as well.
stmiller

Post by stmiller »

djc6 wrote: FYI, you need to use Disk Utility to partition the VirtualBox hard drive before the installer will see it and let you install the OS. That stumped me for a couple minutes as well.
Yeah it didn't even get that far. The above screenshot was as far as it got. Never made it into the graphical installer.

Update: Tried a new retail 10.6.3 DVD, and it works like a charm now to install. Perhaps that original 10.6 retail disc I first tried is problematic?

On to the next problem: the internal guest OS X does not recognize the keyboard. Hrmm...
rlhamil

Post by rlhamil »

JakeS wrote:For those who have checked this, maybe you could answer my Q?

I'm wondering, since I can't test this my self (No AMD-V) if this will run on a standard computer? Say, for example an AMD Phenom II, along with Linux as host? or does this require intel/mac hardware?
AFAIK, the only provision for running Mac OS X virtually in compliance with its license
is under a Mac OS X _Server_ host running on Apple hardware; and even then I think
each client instance would need a separate license.

Practically, since Apple wants to use their pretty OS and GUI to sell hardware
(nice hardware, it's true) at a premium (and because there's therefore no point in
wasting their effort supporting what they _don't_ sell), Mac OS X will probably support only
CPUs and support chips that are part of their systems (or fairly generic USB or FireWire
addons).

AFAIK all x86 Apples so far have been Intel, none AMD (although I think I recall recent
rumors that may change).

Aside from the number of cores or threads visible to the guest, I'm not aware of VirtualBox
doing anything to make the guest's idea of the CPU it has look any different from the
actual host CPU. I suspect that anything it were to do along those lines would result in
some performance loss for the guest.

So it might work on a host that had a CPU like some current Mac has. But the
only case where it is in all respects reasonable to expect it to work is running on a Mac,
under an OS X Server host, in compliance with the license.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

In order to comply with the Apple EULA, Mac OSX guest will only work on Mac systems (OS and hardware). Any other combination will not work and the VB devs will make sure that the EULA cannot be breached. So no Mac OSX on Linux, Windows, or whatever.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

Sasquatch wrote:In order to comply with the Apple EULA, Mac OSX guest will only work on Mac systems (OS and hardware). Any other combination will not work and the VB devs will make sure that the EULA cannot be breached. So no Mac OSX on Linux, Windows, or whatever.
i'm pretty sure the devs said they didn't block it but it wouldn't work.

and if you want to go 100% with the eula, you should only be able to run osx server on osx server, not regular osx.