PC-BSD

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
elephanthunter
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: PC-BSD, Ubuntu

PC-BSD

Post by elephanthunter »

Although unfortunately I was NOT able to install guest additions, I just thought I should mention that, contrary to the Guest OSs page, PC-BSD does indeed work under Virtual Box... KDE and all. The only caveat being that I needed to increase RAM and HD sizes to the minimum hardware requirements as posted on the PC-BSD Guide, or the install DVD would endlessly reboot.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: PC-BSD

Post by loukingjr »

elephanthunter wrote:Although unfortunately I was NOT able to install guest additions, I just thought I should mention that, contrary to the Guest OSs page, PC-BSD does indeed work under Virtual Box... KDE and all. The only caveat being that I needed to increase RAM and HD sizes to the minimum hardware requirements as posted on the PC-BSD Guide, or the install DVD would endlessly reboot.
did you figure out how to increase the screen resolution by any chance?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

Just tried PC-BSD 8.0 RC2 off of full DVD ISO. VM hangs on a time of day warning. Looks like something that it should fall through, but never does. RAM bumped up to 512MB and 20GB partition, but otherwise a stock VM. VBox 3.1.4 on Vista x64.
humdinger70
Guest OSses: PCLinuxOS-2010-beta2

Post by humdinger70 »

SSCBrian wrote:Just tried PC-BSD 8.0 RC2 off of full DVD ISO. VM hangs on a time of day warning. Looks like something that it should fall through, but never does. RAM bumped up to 512MB and 20GB partition, but otherwise a stock VM. VBox 3.1.4 on Vista x64.
You might want to increase VB system RAM to at least 1 Gig, Depends of course on whether or not your host system can spare that much RAM when running Vista 64-bit mode.
humdinger70
Guest OSses: PCLinuxOS-2010-beta2

Post by humdinger70 »

The Guest Additions won't work because the script itself (autorun.sh) is looking for Linux of Sun Solaris as part of the uname parameter. PC-BSD doesn't all into that category.
bluegroper
Primary OS: FreeBSD
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windozes, Linuxes, BSD's

Post by bluegroper »

loukingjr wrote: did you figure out how to increase the screen resolution by any chance?
Is this blog any help ?
http://davekoelmeyer.wordpress.com/2010 ... box-3-1-4/
BG
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

They do exist for FreeBSD (and, by extension, for PC-BSD), but are not part of standard build of VirtualBox.

FreeBSD community have them somewhere on their servers. Maybe it is worth asking them... ?
jeansen
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: PC-BSD 8.0

Post by jeansen »

Folks,

just to make it easy for you :-) If you have pc-bsd installed inv virtualbox (in my case it's pc-bsd 8.0), and you get the first-time kd4 screen where you can select the driver, resolution and depth, there is another tab "advanced settings". This gives you the option to specify h- and vsync properties. For virtualbox, just tick the checkbox, go back to the other tab, choose your resolution, test it and you are done :-) This will spare you the trouble of a manual configuration file.

Marcel