x64 VBoxUSB Driver Needed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
djvpuls
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: win 2008r2. win xp, win 2003

x64 VBoxUSB Driver Needed

Post by djvpuls »

So, I see that some people have found there to be problems with USB devices in windows 7 64 and other x64 operating systems. Is there a x64 bit driver? Has anyone gotten USB devices to work on their 64 bit host with a 64 or 32 bit Guest? This if nothing else is a petition for a 64 bit VBoxUSB driver.
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Re: x64 VBoxUSB Driver Needed

Post by jorgensen »

VirtualBox USB 'routing' driver works in 64-bit, and if you have a 32-bit guest you should be able to install the USB driver on the 32-bit guest and have it working here.
djvpuls

Post by djvpuls »

Then I do believe I am doing something wrong. Everything that I try to get the USB to work in any of my guest systems dose not work. I get that USB device is busy error that other have gotten. I've made filters and I've made restarted and I've unplugged and replugged my USB devices. I've tried many different USB devices.

I tried VBox on another system with a windowsXP host and the USB works fine. The driver is easily installed on the host and the USB is captured on the guest after you unplug the device.

I tried to install the driver on my windows 2008 r2 host system (which is basically windows 7) and windows says that the driver is not 64 bit compatible. Thus I believe that the VBoxUSB.sys file is not 64 bit compatible, or is there another way to install this driver? (I can't get Vbox to automatically install it as it did in the XP host system).
jorgensen

Post by jorgensen »

djvpuls wrote:Then I do believe I am doing something wrong.
Not really, but VirtualBox is very tricky about USB and the busy error.
You can check one of my USB posts here: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29034
Also check this: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=737
One thing I have experienced is not to use filters in such situation.
djvpuls

Post by djvpuls »

So I've tried those steps listed in those posts a few times and I just tried them again, using VIP PID and REV numbers to make a filter and unplugging and replugging in the USB.... My usb devices always shows up in my host device manager and never in my guest device manager. I never get the installing VBoxUSB driver message that easily came up when I tried the process on an winXP hosted system. Thus I believe the windows 2008 r2 (or windows 7) system to be the culprit. I guess that USB devices have worked for some vista x64 hosting systems (as referenced in one of the above mentioned posts)

Has anyone gotten USB devices to work on windows 7 x64?
jorgensen

Post by jorgensen »

As mentioned in one of my posts I had serious USB problems when upgrading from version 3.1.0 to 3.1.4/6.
Just tried to connect an USB device where I cannot install the driver on my main computer, and neither for XP or Windows 7 the unit turns up in VirtualBox USB list. (If the device goes through a hub the driver can be installed!)
You could try to revert to version 3.1.0 where I had an USB device disabled in the host Device Manager and still be able to mount in a guest. This is not possible with the latest VirtualBox versions!
Psy-UK
Guest OSses: XP

Post by Psy-UK »

I'm in the same boat. Running x64 Windows 7 and the only USB device that works in VB is my mouse. Otherwise I get the dreaded 'USB is busy with a previous request' error.
djvpuls

Post by djvpuls »

So I kind of gave up and moved on to vmware player and lo and behold my USB devices didn't work in VMware player either. So searching around in the Vmware forum I found a link to this at: http://www.sanbarrow.com/workstation-faq.html#p8

Error message: Host USB device connections disabled
check with devicemanager if some program has replaced the original USB-root-hub drivers: usbd.sys and usbhub.sys
if yes - roll the driver back to Windows-original - also check
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
if this has a subkey "UpperFilter" delete the key - reboot
known thirdparty software that replaces the original USB-root-hub drivers:
Sony Ericsson PC Suite

So I tried it and I had an UpperFilter subkey that I deleted (after I backed up the registry file). After deleting the UpperFilter subkey and restarting, USB devices in VMware and in VBox started working in my winXP guests (using my windows 2008 r2 host). YAY... I hope this helps someone else too.
Psy-UK
Guest OSses: XP

Post by Psy-UK »

The reg fix works like a charm with Win7 x64 as host and XP SP3 as the guest and now I can use my USB wifi adapter to connect my DS online! :D