VirtualBox 3.1.6 on Windows 7 host doesn't start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kawa
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

VirtualBox 3.1.6 on Windows 7 host doesn't start

Post by kawa »

Hi all,

I have just reinstalled a clean Windows 7 and installed the VirtualBox latest release package. After installation there is a VBoxSVC.exe and VirtualBox.exe in the taskmanager, but no window (GUI) at all. The reason for the OS reinstall was exactly the above problem. I have the exact same OS on a laptop, it works there. The only thing installed after the OS is Firefox and Microsoft Security Essentials, nothing else. Please advise. Thanks.
Aozine
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Re: VirtualBox 3.1.6 on Windows 7 host doesn't start

Post by Aozine »

I've got this problem too. Installed 3.1.6 on Windows 7 and the GUI doesn't appear. Checking task manager, VBoxSVC.exe is running, VirtualBox.exe runs for a short time then disappears. There's no crash report dialog or anything indicating a problem; the GUI simply doesn't appear and VirtualBox.exe seems to terminate. When running from the command line, VirtualBox.exe doesn't print anything to the console. I've run both the installer and VirtualBox.exe as administrator, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

Is there anything I can do to help diagnose this problem, e.g. some way to get VirtualBox to print logging information to the console which might give me some indication of why it terminates without displaying any GUI?
Lilt
Guest OSses: Linux, Solaris, Windows XP

Post by Lilt »

Hi. I too am having the same problem. When I start VirtualBox, two processes are started VirtualBox.exe and VBoxSVC.exe. VBoxSVC.exe immediately jumps to 50% CPU usage (presumably a single thread stuck in a loop, maxing-out one of my two CPU cores).

I tried reinstalling VirtualBox, no luck. I just tried reinstalling without any of the extra bits & pieces (No USB or networking), however, and I found that I was at-least able to start the program itself. I've yet to try installing the other components one by one to see which specific component might be causing the problem.
stachobywatelpl
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by stachobywatelpl »

I have a similar problem. VBox finally shows the GUI but only after about 15 seconds of inactivity.
The same happens when a virtual machine is started. I can see "spawning..." message box
and have to wait for it to start.
Even displaying settings for the machine locks up the GUI for 15 seconds (task manager does not
show any CPU activity).
The speed of virtualization is not affected.

I suspect latest security updates from Microsoft may have some hand in it.
VLC player started to behave in a similar way.

Other programs continue to work normally.
The system is Windows 7 64 bit, 4 core.
Lilt
Guest OSses: Linux, Solaris, Windows XP

Post by Lilt »

Okay. I tried un-installing again and reinstalling with only USB and network (the features I actually need) and it still hangs at exactly the same point for me (with VBoxSVC maxing-out one of my cores). I was able to narrow-down my own particular problem to the USB component, as when it is not installed VirtualBox boots normally.

I started a ticket for my own particular problem here: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6538. If you believve you are having the same problem (specific to Windows 7 x64 and the USB component causing virtualbox to hang before the GUI loads) it may be useful for you to add your own experiences. Otherwise, you may be better to create your own ticket.