smbus base uninitialized upgrade bios of Force_addr=0xaddr

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sweetwater
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WindowsXPPro, Open Suse 11.2, Ubuntu 9.10, Super OS, Mint 8, Fedora 12,

smbus base uninitialized upgrade bios of Force_addr=0xaddr

Post by sweetwater »

I tried installing Ubuntu 10.04 Beta1 and it worked ok at first. Wasn't able to get guest additions to install. I got some error message and guest additions didn't start on it's own.
I manually clicked on desktop icon and tried to install Guest additions and it looked promising but not so and after several boots Ubuntu trying to load gets a green screen that turns on and off but never completely loads. There is an error message something like 'smbus base uninitialized upgrade bios of Force_addr=0xaddr' What bios needs upgraded if it worked ok at first why would it not work later?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: smbus base uninitialized upgrade bios of Force_addr=0xaddr

Post by Perryg »

This issue will be addressed in the next maintenance release of VirtualBox.
There is a work around that requires you booting to the single user mode of Ubuntu and editing a file from the command line.
If you want I will send you the link to the fix but it is not something for a novice. Only ask if you are familiar with the CLI and VI.
sweetwater
Guest OSses: WindowsXPPro, Open Suse 11.2, Ubuntu 9.10, Super OS, Mint 8, Fedora 12,

Post by sweetwater »

Thanx! The same message appears in 9.10 boot process also however 9.10 still boots and functions however VBox seems a tad flaky at times and I still get the smbus message in VM's and fscks on every VM boot also.
Is the next release going to deal with that startup message in 9.10 and whatever impairments that it carries with it also? BTW it was inferred that 10.01 doesn't make it all the way through boot. It sticks on splash screen ubuntu with the cycling colored dots below it.
Should I be concerned about updating my motherboard BIOS or video card BIOS if it has one? I'm not sure which bios it's talking about. My motherboard is having a problem with losing BIOS settings in between boots about every 3-5 boots it loses settings. It's done this from beginning...There is a 2005 BIOS available and current is 2002. Thanx SW%:)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

the 9.10 and 10.04 error of hanging during boot will be fixed in the next maintenance release. The other warning error about smb I have no idea. It is coming from the guest OS and not VBox. They may be working on that as well but it does not seem to effect the guest after it boots.
Now you MB problems are something that you need to deal with. But from what you are explaining I would get it fixed.
sweetwater

Post by sweetwater »

SMBUS has something to do with system clock mostly from what I've read and fixing the motherboard requires a resistor or capacitor or something like that to be soldered to it since the other option to reduce core voltage appears impossible from BIOS menus I can access.
I guess I'll keep researching and learning BIOS flash and dare to do it when I get frustrated enough and see what happens. I've done 3 or 4 of them before but it's been a decade.
sweetwater

Post by sweetwater »

perryg,
I'd just like to add that 9.10 Ubuntu regular hard disk install does not give me this message... :?:
Does VBox have it's own virtual bios?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Yes they do have their own bios and I didn't mean to imply that VBox was not the cause. It is something that the new builds are asking for and something not implemented yet. As I said I believe they are working on it but this is just a warning at this point. I see no problem running the OS other then it complains about it.
vger7
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Mint8,Karmic,Lucid

Post by vger7 »

Greetings,

I have the same error.
I did load the latest maintenance release 3.1.16 got get Guest accounts to work.
But I think this error is causing Lucid graphics to lag... badly.
The full error I get is:
piix4_smbus 0000.00.07.0: SMBus base address uninitialized -
upgrade bios or use force_addr=0xaddr
Other distros, Mint 8 and Karmic work fine.

Thanks
sweetwater

Post by sweetwater »

Yea!!! Your message is same as mine and there are some numbers in a [b.o.x] preceding it that always change value from boot to boot; I just don't have the brain power to remember it all and write it down and I haven't mastered all the tips and tricks of using Linux yet. I'm thinking I could prob. go to the logs and copy and paste from there but just haven't remembered to do it yet when in need. I too noticed improvement with guest in VB upgrade but duhdern SMBUS thangy is still loomin. I'm at a loss for doing screenshots and any other shortcuts that may exist. Wish they made brain replacements I could have used a few of em years ago. Ubuntu is suppose to be switching to some kind of open source Nvidia proprietary replacement called noveau [spelling incorrect] and 10.04B seems all messed up for this because it seems stuck between without specific directions on how to go either way. That ought to teach me to play with Betas eh?
RE: Mint; I really prefer Ubuntu layout over all others including Mint even though Mint has it together better in some ways. Ubuntu just fits Mint I have to alter my thinking to use. 9.04 was trouble free...
sunjon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04

Post by sunjon »

Could i get the link to the fix for this issue please?
sweetwater

Post by sweetwater »

Not sure what you mean about a 'link to fix' but from my understanding this 'smbus' message is stating that the BIOS that the VBox is supplying for the Vhardware is not adequate and needs to be updated. My research on smbus leads me to believe it is mostly related to system clock related thangz unless specifically programmed for use with other thangz.
I would also suppose it is something that VBox has to address as part of their BIOS.
However if doesn't really impede usage to a large degree or at all it may take a while to get around to it at all.
I'm running 10.04Beta2 on VB 3.1.6 now, still get the smbus message but things are a bit smoother overall. Sometimes the screen is blank for a while at varying amounts of time during boot but eventually getz there. Of course I'm using a 10yo 32bit with 1gb ram near handicapped situation for virtualization.
davidhunt
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by davidhunt »

I would also like to know the workaround posted by perryg
antonino.bajeli
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Post by antonino.bajeli »

Hi folks,
I'm trying to install the guest system "Ubuntu 10.04 64bit" on a VBox 3.2.0, using "Ubuntu 09.10 64bit" host system, and I face the "smbus base uninitialized" problem.
Is there any workaround?

Regards,
Tony
backspace
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Win XP Pro

Post by backspace »

For those of you who said that the boot message goes by too fast to read, you can find it using the command "dmesg". In this case you'll want to search for something like "piix4". For example:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep piix4
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

Guys, the message about the uninitialized smbus is just a guest Linux kernel warning, nothing more.