Kernel oops and low graphics in Lucid since 2.6.32-16 kernel

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
brazz
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Windows Knoppix MeeGo(in progress)

Re: Kernel oops and low graphics in Lucid since 2.6.32-16 kernel

Post by brazz »

Oh OK! It was a mistake, it should create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf with only the section InputDevice, not as I did (Section "Device", "Monitor", "Screen" and "InputDevice") now everything works well.
Thank you
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

When you repaired the guest did you run /etc/init.d/vboxadd setup?
Try it again anyway. It works like it should on mine.
brazz
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Windows Knoppix MeeGo(in progress)

Post by brazz »

Yes, when I changed vboxvideo_drm.c I have run the setup, but then I made a xorg.conf that was inappropriate. Once I changed this one, I disconnected / reconnected and everything started to work well. :D
whit
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04

Post by whit »

Confirming the mouse pointer integration works with that X config. Now to have a way to handle the video with that kernel....

Update: But booting to the prior kernel makes the keys misassigned - at least "/" is now "-". Perverse.

2nd Update: Going back to the newer kernel fixes the key assignments. But then running /etc/init.d/vboxadd setup at that point screws them up again in the same way. This is not with the patch referenced above in place. Was rather hoping to edit that in and try again. But it's difficult when there's no "/" key.

3rd Update: It has set itself to a Danish keyboard. That was available because of who'd prepared the VM. But it was running with a US keyboard previously, regardless. Anyway, fixed that, removed Danish as an option.

4th Update: That patch leads nothing much improved. Perhaps it just does the same thing the xorg.conf fix does? Or do I need to back off that fix now?

5th Update: I know this is a different problem, but the friggin' Danish keyboard comes back, even after being removed. Must be a stupid Gnome trick, having a graphic control that claims to do this while some text file really controls the reality of it instead.

6th Update: xorg.conf had acquired "Driver VESA" for the video, which didn't allow 1024x600. Changing that to "vboxvideo" was the fix for that. The switch to VESA may have happened when it wouldn't boot to high graphics, so I expect it will bite others. (Still trying to get the Danish nonsense off the system. Every reboot it's back to a Danish keyboard still.)

7th Update: locale needed to be fixed in /etc/default/locale. Which just goes to show that Gnome is still putting GUI front ends on system configuration options that on the back end it's not fully capable of handling yet. Grumble.

8th Update: getting off topic here, but even switching the default locale didn't keep the Danish keyboard from coming back. Sigh.
seattle vic

Post by seattle vic »

I downloaded 10.04 yesterday and it came with 2.6.32-16 only. I've downloaded vboxvideo_drm.c and run the /etc/init.d/vboxadd setup command as well.

I still am getting the low graphics issue.

I also added an xorg.conf per recommendations here, no joy.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "VBoxMouse"
Driver "vboxmouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

I'm seeing it working for others here. The only thing I'm not sure of is the xorg.conf and if there are other commands there.

In any event, I don't have the -15 kernel on my system and don't know how to find it or load it either.

So I guess there's an update to GA coming? I'm not sure if I'm reading that it's a kernel or GA issue, but it would be nice to get it fixed so I can play with it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
seattle vic

Post by seattle vic »

Could somebody who's made this work please post the entire xorg.conf file that they added on /etc/X11? I'm confused as to what needs to go in there anymore. I have an nvidia card, but have not had to do anything specific to it in other vbox ubuntu guests I've created.

Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The problem is two fold.
You need to edit the "vboxvideo_drm.c" according to this http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6198 to get Ubuntu to boot and not in low graphics

The mouse issue is what the xorg.conf file fixes

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "VBoxMouse"
        Driver      "vboxmouse"
        Option      "CorePointer"
EndSection
Or just wait a few days for the maintenance release. It is due any day.
seattle vic

Post by seattle vic »

OK, I finally got it. I had to pull the short xorg.conf that I have in another instance of 9.10 as a guest, then add what you had, and everything works good:

Section "Device"
Identifier "VirtualBox Video Card"
Driver "vboxvideo"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "VBoxMouse"
Driver "vboxmouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Thanks.
frank
Oracle Corporation