VM reboots continuously

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
vg1967
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WINDOWS 2003

VM reboots continuously

Post by vg1967 »

Hi All,

I have imported a VM (which was hosted in WINDOWS XP) in a VISTA host. It starts, boots, shut down and reboot 'automatically' and never stops this circle. I an not able to do anything.

(VM is in XP).

Any idea why this happen?

Vangelis
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VM reboots continuously

Post by Perryg »

Usually when this happens it is due to the original host being 32 bit and the new host being 64 bit and you are being hit with the SMP kernel update problem of Windows.
Try booting in safe mode and see if it starts. If so then shut down the guest and make sure that IO APIC is not checked. Then start the guest in safe mode and do a system restore to just before you tried it on this system.
Or you can follow this link and use HALu http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 52#p122752 to change the kernel mode for you
vg1967
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WINDOWS 2003

Post by vg1967 »

Perryg,
I need some more help.
"Try booting in safe mode and see if it starts" - You mean the host?

If so then shut down the guest and make sure that IO APIC is not checked. You mean after start in Safe Mode?

Then start the guest in safe mode and do a system restore to just before you tried it on this system. Please give more details

Sorry for my basic questions
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Perryg,
I need some more help.
"Try booting in safe mode and see if it starts" - You mean the host?

[*]The Guest

If so then shut down the guest and make sure that IO APIC is not checked. You mean after start in Safe Mode?

[*]With the guest shut down look at the guest settings you will fine IO APIC under the system section.

Then start the guest in safe mode and do a system restore to just before you tried it on this system. Please give more details
Sorry for my basic questions
[*]See this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... store.mspx