Mac OS X guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
the4thchild
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows Vista, MacOS Snow Leopard, Ubuntu 9.10

Re: Mac OS X guest

Post by the4thchild »

I also couldn't boot after software update. I rolled back to my snapshot of a fresh install and found that I could update to 10.6.1 (by downloading the package from the Apple support site) but could not successfully update to 10.6.2, either through the Combo update or the 10.6.1 -> 10.6.2 package. The installer appeared to quit prematurely just before finishing, and the VM told me to reboot, after which the VM hung again on boot up. Anyone have success updating to 10.6.2?
takwing
Guest OSses: winxp, Leopard, Snow Leopard, , Win7, ubuntu 9.10

Post by takwing »

the4thchild wrote:I also couldn't boot after software update. I rolled back to my snapshot of a fresh install and found that I could update to 10.6.1 (by downloading the package from the Apple support site) but could not successfully update to 10.6.2, either through the Combo update or the 10.6.1 -> 10.6.2 package. The installer appeared to quit prematurely just before finishing, and the VM told me to reboot, after which the VM hung again on boot up. Anyone have success updating to 10.6.2?
you can upgrade to 10.6.1 !!!??
This is Snow Leopard!!..... I will try it!!

But.... wait!! I am now running Leopard now....
what is the meaning of installing 10.6.1 update to my Leopard?
Does it make sense? or there is something that I misunderstand?
come and visit my technical page:
http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/index.php
the4thchild

Post by the4thchild »

From what I've read, it sounds like it's hard/not possible to upgrade directly from one of the OSx86 distros, but apparently the installations from a retail DVD are upgradeable (see http://www.taranfx.com/install-snow-leopard-virtualbox). I first installed Leopard, then used that version to install SL from the retail DVD to a separate VM.

From there I could go from 10.6.0 -> 10.6.1, but I couldn't update from 10.6.0 --> 10.6.2 or 10.6.1 -> 10.6.2.
notbad
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Mac OS X

Post by notbad »

after updating to 10.6.2 you have to install the kexts and repair permissions again.
takwing

Post by takwing »

Now, I am giving my 2nd attempt to install SL by following the instructions given in:
http://www.taranfx.com/install-snow-leopard-virtualbox

I have installed SL from the retail DVD to the Snow partitaion in my Leopard.
In the step where I type the command:
kextcache -a x86_64 -K /Volumes/Snow/mach_kernel -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions

I get some errors(please see the attached pic for the details). I notice that the files that are having the "warning" are actually the files that I copied from the MacUtil CD. Is this expected?
Attachments
sl_trial2.jpg
sl_trial2.jpg (58.6 KiB) Viewed 41999 times
notbad

Post by notbad »

Yes, it is expected.
takwing

Post by takwing »

notbad wrote:Yes, it is expected.
Thx!

Unfortunately, my 2nd try failed.... cannot boot up SL.... :(
takwing

Post by takwing »

reisntall SL for the 3rd time...... everything goes smoothly.... but still cannot boot up SL....

I wonder if this is because I am using a iCore5 system... and for the bootloader in MacUtils, it is not RC2.
How can I upgrade it to RC4?? Any help?

Actually, in the instructions given in http://www.taranfx.com/install-snow-leopard-virtualbox,
Step 6. Install Chameleon from the “MacUtils” on to “Snow” drive. [How to Install Chameleon]
What I have done is simply insatll Chameleon by using the GUI method, selecting my Snow hdd for the installation.
However, in the [How to insatll Chameleon] page, the installation sounds like to me would depends on the dev ID (primary controller, sec controller etc), would this make a difference for my case? (As I am installing Chameleon while snow hdd is running as the Sec Master hdd, while actually, I will boot up this hdd by attaching it as the primary master).

I have aslo tried to use the Empire_1085.iso to boot up the machine.
The last few lines are:
- Patched DMI Tabke,
- ACPI Table not found: DSDT.aml
- Starting Darwin x86
- Press any key to continue

... However, when I press a key, the screen simply blackened.....
(I have also tried the "-v cpus=1" option...but still failed)

any help?
notbad

Post by notbad »

I think it is you CPU's fault. If you have patched your VB and followed every step correctly - and still does not work, then I think its just your CPU. If I'm not mistaken SL 10.6.2 is compactible with i5. You can try SL 10.6.1&10.6.2 Client Server by Hazard. You can install SL 10.6.2 or SL Server 10.6.2 from the iso. And I think there is a kernel for i5. SL by Hazard works very good on my other HDD, not in VB.
takwing

Post by takwing »

notbad wrote:I think it is you CPU's fault. If you have patched your VB and followed every step correctly - and still does not work, then I think its just your CPU. If I'm not mistaken SL 10.6.2 is compactible with i5. You can try SL 10.6.1&10.6.2 Client Server by Hazard. You can install SL 10.6.2 or SL Server 10.6.2 from the iso. And I think there is a kernel for i5. SL by Hazard works very good on my other HDD, not in VB.
I suppose you are referring to "Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard"...
what is your suggestion / gut feeling? Should I follow the same steps as what I have done earlier in installing SL via the Leopard hdd?

ok, I will try to install SL by booting from the Hazard iso... and with my fingers crossed..... let's see how things go

[update]
- by booting up Hazard's iso, I have install SL (option customized to install 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 update)
- installation seems ok, but after reboot, the error:
"System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found
notbad

Post by notbad »

have you removed the iso? by the way Hazard's Server SL has more kernels.
the4thchild

Post by the4thchild »

takwing wrote:Actually, in the instructions given in http://www.taranfx.com/install-snow-leopard-virtualbox,
Step 6. Install Chameleon from the “MacUtils” on to “Snow” drive. [How to Install Chameleon]
What I have done is simply insatll Chameleon by using the GUI method, selecting my Snow hdd for the installation.
However, in the [How to insatll Chameleon] page, the installation sounds like to me would depends on the dev ID (primary controller, sec controller etc), would this make a difference for my case? (As I am installing Chameleon while snow hdd is running as the Sec Master hdd, while actually, I will boot up this hdd by attaching it as the primary master).
@takwing:
This is what I did as well (installing by the GUI to the SL hdd), and it appeared to work.

For the error on reboot, I'm assuming you've tried the "-legacy" boot option? I had to do that (in addition to setting the CPU's to 1 in the VB GUI) to get mine to boot.
notbad wrote:after updating to 10.6.2 you have to install the kexts and repair permissions again.
@notbad:
Do I need to copy the same kexts as I those from the original installation, the ones from the Utils.iso? Do I just attach the drive to Leopard and copy kexts/repair permissions?
takwing

Post by takwing »

the4thchild wrote: @takwing:
This is what I did as well (installing by the GUI to the SL hdd), and it appeared to work.

For the error on reboot, I'm assuming you've tried the "-legacy" boot option? I had to do that (in addition to setting the CPU's to 1 in the VB GUI) to get mine to boot.
the4thchild and nobad,

You are the hero!!! I have repeated the process again.... but this time, I create the vm with 1 cpu and add the -legacy as the boot option.
SL is now running!!

[update]
I have found that even without the -legacy option, SL can be started.
So, the trick is "1 CPU"....
anyway to solve it?
Last edited by takwing on 8. Mar 2010, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
notbad

Post by notbad »

the4thchild wrote: Do I need to copy the same kexts as I those from the original installation, the ones from the Utils.iso? Do I just attach the drive to Leopard and copy kexts/repair permissions?
attach the drive to Leopard and do all the steps what you have done after retail SL installation in Leopard.

- Install Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640 from the iso with utilities to the Snow hdd.

All further operations are applied to the drive where you installed Leopard (/Volumes/Snow)

- Remove all from Extra/Extensions
- Copy from utils-ISO: /Mac/Extra/Extensions to Extra/Extensions
- Copy from utils-ISO: /Mac/System/Library/Extensions to System/Library/Extensions
- Go to the System/Library/Extensions and delete: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
- Launch terminal:
sudo -s
cd /Volumes/Snow/System/Library
chown -R root:wheel Extensions/
cd /Volumes/Snow/Extra
chown -R root:wheel Extensions/
kextcache -a x86_64 -K /Volumes/Snow/mach_kernel -m /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -a x86_64 -K /Volumes/Snow/mach_kernel -m /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Snow/Extra/Extensions
- Turn of Leopard
notbad

Post by notbad »

takwing wrote: [update]
I have found that even without the -legacy option, SL can be started.
So, the trick is "1 CPU"....
anyway to solve it?
VB supports only 1 CPU in 64bit mode!!