64-bit Guest and VT-x/AMD-V

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mfuszner
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

64-bit Guest and VT-x/AMD-V

Post by mfuszner »

I am running XP Pro (64-bit) with SP2 as my host. I am trying to run Server 2008 (64-bit) as a guest OS. When I try to start the VM, I receive the message "VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not operational." It goes on to suggest checking the BIOS settings. I have! I have enabled virtualization support as follows:

Intel Virtualization Technology
Intel VT for Direct I/O
Intel Trusted Execution Technology

This Dell Optiplex 960 has full support for virtualization, including BIOS, OS, and motherboard. In fact, I am successfully using the same VM on another identical machine from a hardware standpoint. There has to be a software setting somewhere that is keeping VT-x from being operational. I created a new VM on this PC using the same VDI file as on the one where it works by using an existing virtual hard disk. The usual suggestions to check your BIOS, hardware support, and so forth have already been done. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: 64-bit Guest and VT-x/AMD-V

Post by Perryg »

Do you see hardware virtualization in your bios?
mfuszner
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by mfuszner »

There's nothing that specifically says hardware virtualization, but the vdi file works on another PC built with identical hardware.The first PC (where it works) was where the original installation was done. On the second PC where it is not working, I simply created a new VM and used the VDI file from the working PC.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Then it might be that you need to update your bios. Every machine that I have ever used that supported hardware-v in the bios had a setting that said hardware virtualization. Of course you could be the exception. Look at the bios on the other machine that this works in and see if it says hardware virtualization. or at least compare the settings.
BACON
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1

Post by BACON »

I've seen some cases where enabling virtualization support/extensions in the BIOS doesn't take affect until the machine is completely powered down and unplugged from the power source. So, that might be something to try if you haven't already.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I agree. You usually need to power down, not simply reboot. I have even heard of instances where the battery has to be removed from a laptop before it will stick.
Bill