Internet Connection

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tcoakley
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Internet Connection

Post by tcoakley »

I am running XP Pro,have a VM running ubuntu, and utilize a franklin wireless modem to connect to the internet.

I downloaded the newest version (3.1.4) of VirtualBox this morning and when I did my vm lost the connection to the internet so I can no longer get to my repository.

In my Mobile Broadband Connection I have set the Internet Connection Sharing to the VirtualBox Host-Only Network.

In the VirtualBox Host-Only Network connection I told it to automatically get the ip and dns servers.

In the VirtualBox Network Settings I have attached adapter 1 to the Host-only Adapter.

When I start the VM I can telnet into it, I can get to websites running on it, but I can no longer get to the internet from the vm.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks
-Tom
flyswatta
Guest OSses: ubuntu,xp

Re: Internet Connection

Post by flyswatta »

Similar issue. Running XP SP3 with VirtualBox 3.1.2 for several months. Upgraded to 3.1.4 and the internet connection on my Host machine stopped working after I started the VMs. Powered down the VMs and the network started working again. Didn't have time to troubleshoot, I just uninstalled 3.1.4 and re-installed 3.1.2 and it's all working now.

I'd sure love to hear if anyone finds out what the issue is.
dorsetts
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10, Ubuntu 9.04

Post by dorsetts »

I am having a similar problem. I am running a Windows 7 host with VirtualBox 3.1.4 with an Ubuntu 9.04 vm and another Ubuntu 9.10 vm. I am unable to connect to the internet from the Ubuntu 9.10 vm, but I AM able to from the 9.04 vm. I have checked the network adapter and settings and they are the same for these 2 vm's (which I'm not running simultaneously). I'm currently using NAT mode, but tried bridged adapter, no luck. Networking and hardware/virtualization is a little beyond my working knowledge. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
jochen69
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by jochen69 »

I have the same problem with VB 3.1.4.

When i start my VM (in my case Win XP Pro) than my host (WIN XP 64) internet stopped. I can receive email and skype also working, but no explorer shows me internet sites. When i stop VM and refresh the site, it loads correctly. Very strange ....

I reinstalled 3.1.2
but the same problem. It´s also not enough to shut down vm guest. I must end VB program, that i can reach internet sites again :shock:

Here my host info during and after using VB:
C:\Documents and Settings\jochen>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.34
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.178.1

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\jochen>ipconfig
jochen69
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by jochen69 »

:?: Can nobody help? :?:
CFXG
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu 8.10 / Linux Mint / Win XP

Post by CFXG »

Hi Jochen you can try to go in "Hardware Manager"/"Device Manager" (In German "Geräte Manager" :D ) Nad now search for: "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter". And remove it. Now delete VirtualBox from your PC with aan good uninstaller like RevoUninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/). Now install VirtualBox again. Now you have to look that you have in the settings of your VirtualMachines under Network this selected: "Connected with: NAT" & "ADAPTER-TYPE: (A PCNET OR INTEL. You can choose one of them BUT NOT this Virtual Network)"
Maybe press on this Green refresh button to make new MAC.

Hpe that helps you :D

Greetings from Germany ^^^So im not good English