ipod touch / iphone (virtualbox v1.5.4 winXP client)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ijmiller

ipod touch / iphone (virtualbox v1.5.4 winXP client)

Post by ijmiller »

I've verified that v1.5.4 fixed an issue which caused v1.5.2 to abort when mounting an ipod touch (Ticket #827). iTunes now seems to be giving me issues when trying to connect to the ipod touch:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "" because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000001)"

After doing some research it seems that this problem occurs for people using usb 1.1, or trying to connect through passive usb 2.0 hub (when not using visualization). I am currently running Ubuntu 7.10 (gusty gibbon) and have usb 2.0 ports. If anyone experiences this issue and finds a work around, please list the fix. Thanks!
AndreasBank@gmx.de

Same with me

Post by AndreasBank@gmx.de »

I encountered the exactly same problem!

Any ideas?
phillc

Post by phillc »

I have not much constructive to add here, except "me too!"

I have upgraded to VirtualBox 1.5.4. It no longer crashes but does produce the error described above.

I am using an iPhone, not an iPod Touch. My phone has firmware 1.1.2 and has not been unlocked/jailbroken.

I am running a Windows XP SP2 guest on my Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 machine.
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

Known problem. We haven't had time yet to investigate. Since I own an iPhone, I'll look at it eventually. :)
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

If you have USB-Problems, then give the same hardware to sandervl as christmas present :)

@innotek: great job! great product! happy new year!
Smerlok

Post by Smerlok »

Same problem:
"iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "" because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000001)"

Windows XP SP2 guest on Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 on VirtualBox 1.5.4
and an Ipod Touch fw 1.1.2 jailbroken.
Any news?
morgewan

Post by morgewan »

Sigh, I was hoping this would work. Bad Apple!!! :-)

Same issue here as well:
Windowx XP SP2 guest on Kubuntu Gusty 7.10 under VirtualBox 1.5.4
jailbroken iPhone with firmware 1.1.1
morgewan

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? (iPhone woes)

Post by morgewan »

Bouncing this up... Does anyone else care about this working? I am more than willing to donate hardware, time, or funds to get this worked on...

Does anyone know the history behind this issue, or it's current status. It seems like something that should just work out of the box.

I really don't want to go back to having XP on a separate partition....

Thanks!
David Morgan
ijmiller

vmware has the same problem

Post by ijmiller »

As of today (Jan 24th 2008) it seems as though vmware has the same issue:
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/91 ... &start=120

I wouldn't be surprised if the two groups are waiting on a kernel patch before they can release their fixes. Else, the problem is a bit bigger than it originally seemed...
Smerlok

Post by Smerlok »

Any news with the 1.5.6 release???
ijmiller

re: 1.5.6

Post by ijmiller »

I haven't had a chance to test it yet. There is nothing in the change logs which would lead me to believe that its been fixed.
dchill42

Post by dchill42 »

I've experienced this same problem with my iPod video and a WinXP client using 1.5.4 on Ubuntu 7.10. I've been waiting patiently, hoping sandervl would work it out soon. It's been a couple of months, now, and there doesn't seem to be anything new. I see 1.5.6 has been released, but the notes don't mention iPod or USB or anything related.

*twiddles thumbs and waits some more*
onero

Post by onero »

Nope, I just tried with Virtualbox 1.5.6, no luck :( This is probably the last reason I'm even booting into Windows, so I really hope this gets fixed soon :D
dchill42

Post by dchill42 »

Yeah, that's about it. I use iTunes, occasionally Flash, and I test web development in IE 6 and 7 (have to support the poor fools who don't know any better).

In VirtualBox, my iPod is generally recognized - I get the disconnect hardware icon and all, but it hoses iTunes. I've tried plugging in before launching iTunes, as well as once the program is running - it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I guess if DRM goes away completely, Apple might stop trying to prevent the open source community from replicating their software, but that doesn't seem to be happening any faster than getting my iPod to work in VirtualBox.

This one defect aside, I absolutely love VirtualBox and will gladly use it until the cows come home. I just hope they can fix this issue somewhere in the forseeable future.
Jsewill

Same thing

Post by Jsewill »

I am experiencing the same issue with my IPOD touch:

iTunes could not connect to the iPhone~because and unknown error occurred (0xE8000001).