sharing folders with windows7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
raakvlak
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: windows 7

sharing folders with windows7

Post by raakvlak »

as posted in my previous post about the missing guest additions iso, i've installed vbox 3.0.12 on mac os 10.6.2 with windows 7 as guest os.

i'm trying to share folders between the two systems but can't seem to get it to work.

i've set my ~/Public folder as the shared folder, but nothing shows up in windows 7's version of My Network Places (called just Networks, where the only thing that shows up is the windows 7 VM)

am i looking in the wrong place or .... ?

i've looked at the manual instructions on using the windows command line, but am obviously too daft to understand what it says...
given that i've shared ~/Public, what would "net use x: \\vboxsvr\sharename" really look like?

thanks
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: sharing folders with windows7

Post by Sasquatch »

You have to know more about cross OS sharing if you want to succeed without the Guest Additions. Also, read the User Manual, chapter 6 - Virtual Networking, to know what setting you need for it.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
taka
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Where do I find Windows 7 Guest additions

Post by taka »

This is very embarrassing. I'm running MacOS 10.6.2 and Virtual Box 3.1.2. I simply want to be able to read and write into a Mac 'folder' from Windows 7 applications. I've read the manual, P 62 and it discusses mounting the Guest Additions ISO file and installing the additions. Where do I get it? I've examined the VirtualBox-3.1.2-56127-OSX.dmg download and don't see additions there.(inside package, I also don't see it in my applications folder and 'spotlight' doesn't spot the file either. P 60 of the instructions indicates that there is file called VBoxGuestAdditions.iso that's located in the installation directory of VirtualBox. I can't find the file or the 'installation directory'

Any help would be appreciated.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

1. Start the Virtual Machine
2. After the VM has started up,
a) Menu Bar - Left Side --> {Apple Icon} VirtualBox VM Machine Devices Help
3. Select Devices
4. Select Install Guest Additions
5. If AutoPlay is active for the CD-ROM, the install will auotomagically start.
Else, from Computer select the CD-ROM drive, and double click the proper .EXE
taka

Post by taka »

Thanks very much. It was in front of me all the time!
taka

Post by taka »

Chip: what version of Virtual Box are you using? I'm using 3.1.2 r56127 and my display was slightly different:

Menu Bar > Devices > Install Guest additions. First Line is CD Drive D. Box 'always do this for software and games.' I don't have this checked, but I have applications that need the CD Drive. Should I check it? I assume it will grab my DVD when Virtual Box/Win 7 is active (that's fine). NEXT Line was Install or run program from your media and below it big as could be was Run VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe (I clicked it and additions installed perfectly.) And then Open Folder to view files using Windows explorer.

Again, thanks for your help. I feel stupid, but spent a lot of time chasing my tail.