Unable to change IP range of NAT network on Windows XP Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
thin_aire
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Suse

Unable to change IP range of NAT network on Windows XP Host

Post by thin_aire »

Hi

10.0.2.x currrently overlaps my work subnet. I would like to set the IP subnet to 172.23.24/24 but the step listed in the User Manual seem to have no effect. This is the command I am issuing to change the the subnet:

> VBoxManage.exe modifyvm OpenSuse01 --natnet1 "172.23.24/24"

If I look in OpenSuse01.xml the first NIC shows:
<Adapter slot="0" enabled="true" MACAddress="0800272F1D1A" cable="true" speed="0" type="Am79C973">
<NAT network="172.23.24/24"/>

I also have UseHostResolver set:
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/UseHostResolver" value="1"/>

If I powerdown the VM network="172.23.24/24" goes away.

Thanks
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Unable to change IP range of NAT network on Windows XP Host

Post by Perryg »

I have seen this at least once or twice before now. Where NAT can be configured but it does not save.

These kinds of problems that are reproducible should be reported to bugtracker. You will need to setup an account there as it is on a different system.
It would also help if you can post the ticket number here so other can see the progress, add information, or see the final results.
thin_aire
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Suse

Re: Unable to change IP range of NAT network on Windows XP Host

Post by thin_aire »

Ok,

Here's the ticket number Ticket #6176

After I made the post, I had the NAT change working when I was at home. So I thought it might have something with my HOST NIC being on the 10.x.x.x subnet at work. But when I was at home the second night I could not reproduce the NAT change the first evening.

Also, I have been using DHCP on the NAT interface. When the NAT change fails I still get the default IP of 10.0.2.15 and NAT is working but not on my new subnet. To me it appears that most of the time VBox just ignores the new subnet in the .xml file. The network entry is in the .xml file until I poweroff the machine.