Itunes 9.03 crashes on launch

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rldev
Primary OS: Mandriva
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Itunes 9.03 crashes on launch

Post by rldev »

I just installed virtualbox 3.1.2.r5 on Ubuntu Karmic 32 bit. ITunes crashes as soon as I launch it. I have 1GB of ram allocated to XP Guest. Anyone know how I can diagnose this problem? Others seems to have it working. Thanks.
virat.gohil
Primary OS: openSUSE
Guest OSses: XP

Re: Itunes 9.03 crashes on launch

Post by virat.gohil »

Hi,

Just wanted to inform that I too have the same problem. Running Opensuse 11.2 as Host OS and XP as a guest OS.

Itunes version 9.0.3
VirtualBox Version: 3.1.2
rldev
Primary OS: Mandriva

Post by rldev »

9.0.2 works without a problem.
mrp40
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP

Post by mrp40 »

Heaps of people are getting this problem. See http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... D=11024282
whittaker007
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE Debian

Post by whittaker007 »

Same here using the latest version of VirtualBox 3.1.4 released today. Interestingly iTunes actually works just fine if you ignore the message. Still can't get cover flow or visualizations to work even with the latest 3D updates to VirtualBox.
tunasalad224
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by tunasalad224 »

whittaker007 wrote:Same here using the latest version of VirtualBox 3.1.4 released today. Interestingly iTunes actually works just fine if you ignore the message. Still can't get cover flow or visualizations to work even with the latest 3D updates to VirtualBox.
well if u leave the message alone itunes will work, but then u cant hook your ipod up to it
CoffeePot

Post by CoffeePot »

Hi,

I'm currently having this problem too (Ubuntu host, WinXP guest).

I just upgraded to the most recent versions of virtualbox (3.1.6) and iTunes (9.1), but iTunes still crashes on launch. Has anyone found out yet what's causing this problem? Is there anyone who has the latest version of iTunes (with Linux guest, windows host) who's actually managed to get it to work without crashing?

While I can just downgrade to 9.0.2 for now, this isn't really a long-term solution.
EddieRay
Guest OSses: W2K8,WinXP,UB8.10,CentOS5.4

Post by EddieRay »

Still happens in iTunes 9.1.x.

The fact that the crash doesn't occur on a system where VBox is running with virtualization instructions enabled, but fails on a system where they are not enabled, seems to indicate to me that this is a VBox problem with the software virtualization.

Then again, it could be Apple trying to keep iTunes from running in virtual environments by doing something crazy that breaks in a VM during iTunes startup.

Either way, apps crashing because they're running in a VM doesn't look good for VBox. Anyone try this in VMWare, Parallels, etc.?
CoffeePot

Post by CoffeePot »

The fact that the crash doesn't occur on a system where VBox is running with virtualization instructions enabled, but fails on a system where they are not enabled, seems to indicate to me that this is a VBox problem with the software virtualization.
What do you mean by this? I don't know much about virtualization - is it possible for me to enable virtualization instructions to make this work?
OldRiver

Post by OldRiver »

Hey Guys,

With some little research, was able to find how to make this work. This solution should work on most recent machines (You need to have vt-x available in BIOS)

1- Make sure you've got the latest BIOS version.
2- Enable VT-x in your BIOS and shutdown the computer (don't reboot, shutdown and start again)
3- In VirtualBox under settings --> System --> Acceleration, enable VT-x and Nested Paging

Voilà!

Should be OK and work fine. I've even seen performance improvement, but only when in iTunes. To double check your setup is OK, when running your virtual machine in a window, there is a series of icons on the bottom right corner. One of these icons will tell you if the virtual machine is actually using VT-x and nested paging.
Noxydeum
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows 7 - x86

Post by Noxydeum »

Here is a true working solution for people whose box has no VT extension (like mine).
I tested it successfully on gentoo linux, but I guess it should work on most linux distros:

- Convert your current VBox-Windows installation to a VMWare compatible format, following the procedure described here : http://www.dbuggr.com/r4pp157/convertin ... -vdi-vmdk/
-> You will need to install "qemu" for this to work
-> Specific instructions for latest versions of VirtualBox can be found in the last post at the bottom of the page

- Install the free virtualization platform "VMWare-Server" : http://vmware.mobi/products/server/

- Use firefox <= 3.5.10 to access the VMWare-Server web console (it does not work well with firefox >= 3.6.x: you won't be able to graphically connect to the VM using the firefox extension provided by vmware). http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... /releases/

- Create a new VMWare virtual machine: when specifying Hard-Disk, select the previously generated "VMDK" image.
-> Be sure to select hardware specs that are coherent with your previous VBox-Windows installation (for instance, select an IDE controller for hard-disk if you already used one in VirtualBox)

- Start your new VM and it should just work! (you can also install "vmare-tools", that provide similar functionnalities than "VBox guest additions").
CoffeePot

Post by CoffeePot »

Thanks... getting there. I found that installing vmware-server was not trivial - it seems to have installed once I used the patch here: http://nerdbynature.de/bits/2.6.32-22/

However, my browser is google Chrome, when I try to run vmware, I get the following:

Code: Select all

[14622:14622:86958310914:FATAL:chrome/browser/zygote_host_linux.cc(177)] Check failed: pid_ > 0. Did not find zygote process (using sandbox binary /opt/google/chrome/chrome-sandbox)
Is the only way to get round this to install the version of firefox you suggest and then set it as my default browser?

EDIT:
I should mention that I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid), and that the patch mentioned above was linked to from here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1536954

EDIT2:oug
OK, so the web interface seems to be working now (though it falls over occasionally). Not quite got the VM going yet though...

EDIT3:
I ended up installing a new VM on VMWare Player instead. Seems to work fine. Anyone know if it's safe to do the upgrade to OS4 on it though?
henchan
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux

Post by henchan »

I just upgraded to iTunes 10 (VBox 3.2.8 ) and it no longer crashes.
My CPU does not support PAE, but my VMs settings are PAE checked.

Finally, I can synch my iPad the way I want to.
erikkratz

Post by erikkratz »

henchan wrote:I just upgraded to iTunes 10 (VBox 3.2.8 ) and it no longer crashes.
My CPU does not support PAE, but my VMs settings are PAE checked..
Thanks for the update! I probably wouldn't have even bothered testing iTunes 10 otherwise.
I confirm it is fixed for me as well under iTunes 10, even with a CPU that doesn't support VT-x.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.