Virtualbox not showing letters like ë

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Etherus
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Virtualbox not showing letters like ë

Post by Etherus »

Greetings everyone,

I installed Virtualbox-bin on my Gentoo machine (the non opensource version with usb support)
this all works great and in my Virtualbox I run a copy of Windows XP.

Now I did share my folder Music with Virtualbox this also works great and I can access this folder, but somehow inside windows xp the folder will not show any files or folders with letters like: ë ö and simulair letters like this. Does anyone know why this happens? I upgraded to Virtualbox 3.1.2 by the way and in the old Virtualbox 2 I never had any problems with accessing the folders and files.

I hope someone is able to help me out!

Etherus
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Virtualbox not showing letters like ë

Post by Perryg »

I would think that would have to do with the language support of the guest. Have you tried to change that?
Etherus

Post by Etherus »

I did try this yes, In the Guest host (windows XP) I have no problems creating files on the hardrive with a ë in the name, but in the network folder it does not allow it, I installed every possible extra XP language that was possible but only inside the network folder it wont work.
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

IIRC there was a problem like this a while back with a language like Korean or Taiwanese. You should browse here bugtracker. If you find one that resembles what you are seeing then you can post to that ticket or if not create a new one. You will need to setup an account there as it is on a different system.
It would also help if you can post the ticket number here so other can see the progress, add information, or see the final results.
Etherus

Post by Etherus »

Sorry for late reply, I tried many more things like reinstalling Virtualbox again, reinstalling windows inside virtualbox but it still does not show those letters
in any shared folder, so I did as was suggested above and did make a ticket:

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6129

I hope they can figure out what is wrong!