Adjust Screen Size?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
shinderhizzle84
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Vista, Ubuntu

Adjust Screen Size?

Post by shinderhizzle84 »

Hello. I've been trying to get my copy of ubuntu, which is installed as a guest on virtualbox, to enter fullscreen mode, yet whenever I click fullscreen, it just is a small window surrounded by a big black space.

In other words, the screen doesn't expand to my full screen, it just blocks out all the other activites going on in my mac and such.

I was able to change this using my Windows Vista machine by changing the resolution, yet with Ubuntu, the max resolution I can put up as the display settings is 800x600.

What can I do to change this? Thanks!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Adjust Screen Size?

Post by Perryg »

Install the guest additions (in the guest)
shinderhizzle84

I'm installing the guest additions right now, thanks.

Once I've done that, how easy is it to change the size of the screen and such? Is it relatively straight forward? Or will I be spending hours in the command line again?

Also, is it possible to change the way I right-click? Even on my Windows virtual box, the only way I can right-click is by pressing down my HOST button (which, in turn, takes my cursor and keyboard OUT OF the virtual drive, which is incredibly difficult to deal with and unbearably annoying) and clicking. Is there any way to change this?

Thanks so much once again!
shinderhizzle84

Alright, so I re-started my virtual box after installing all of the guest additions and now whenever I load up the computer I just get a bunch of gray and white bars all over the screen.

What's up with that? lol.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Screen adjustment is done with the mouse click and drag or the host+f toggle for full screen.
You can change the host key in the preference section of VirtualBox (main program)
Right click on a MAC is done as you say. (I believe they call it the command button + click)
Where did you install the guest additions? Was it in the guest, or the host? They are to be installed in the guest.
shinderhizzle84

Perryg wrote:Screen adjustment is done with the mouse click and drag or the host+f toggle for full screen.
You can change the host key in the preference section of VirtualBox (main program)
Right click on a MAC is done as you say. (I believe they call it the command button + click)
Where did you install the guest additions? Was it in the guest, or the host? They are to be installed in the guest.
I installed the guest additions inside the guest.

Also, command+click doesn't work. The ONLY THING that works to right click is HOST+click.

This can be very annoying, since, obviously, every time I hit my host key to right click, it unlocks the cursor and the keyboard from my guest :(

Is there any way to fix this?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Don't know I don't have a MAC. There are a lot here that do and seem to be able to navigate without too much trouble.
I would think that the guest additions would help with this since that makes the mouse integration seamless.
Guess we will need for a MAC user to capture this thread.
pdonner

Post by pdonner »

Reading through the threads there is a lot of brokeness with the latest 3.1.2 upgrade.

I suspect 3.1.2 is pretty broken and they need to fix it...hopefully soon.

To try to fix your screen problem try to exit seamless mode. With the guest running, click on "Machine" in the top menu and unclick "seamless" mode.
See if that helps at least get you visual access to your guest.