BIG problem with GA + Windows 7 64 bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
hose
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

BIG problem with GA + Windows 7 64 bit

Post by hose »

Hello.

I've got big problem after installing Guest Additions on my laptop (VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe).

After I installed Guest Additions on my Win 7 64 bit system I CAN'T DO ANYTHING after text "Starting Windows".

Booting looks like:

1) I see HP start screen
2) I see "Starting Windows..." text
3) When loading system goes further I see only BLACK screen (I should see (but I don't) screen with profiles to choose).
Black screen and nothing more, also POWER BUTTON doesn't work so if I want to turn off my laptop I need to separate my battery :?

I can't work, learn.... it's urgent for me to fix this problem ASAP.

Any solutions?

Thanks you,

hose
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: BIG problem with GA + Windows 7 64 bit

Post by Perryg »

Start in safe mode (F8 at boot) and uninstall the guest additions.
It sounds like you installed them in the host.
If this does not work then start in safe mode and restore it to a point just before you installed the guest additions.

I am deleting the other post you made about this.
hose

Post by hose »

Same problem with safe mode, after loading drivers I also get black screen.

I can't restore, restore center is turned off.

The only idea I have is to connect my HDD from laptop via USB with other PC and delete Virtual Box Guest Additions files, but which and where are they located?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Without knowing exactly what you did to get to this point it is going to be hard figuring it out.
Normally starting in safe mode and restoring will get you to a working machine again, but you say that the restore function was turned off.
Normally this is on by default. If you turned it off then the only thing else I can think of is to reload the operating system and selecting repair.
Hopefully this will get you to a point that you can use the machine without reinstalling the primary OS.
hose

Post by hose »

"Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully"

That's all what I get from Win 7 CD when I choosed "Startup repair".

I can boot, yes, but after "Starting Windows" I see just black screen...

Looks like some file or driver broken my system :/
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Like I said without knowing what happened or not it is impossible to determine what needs to be done.
Windows usually has a safety built in called system restore. Other than that and repair I do not know what you need to do other than reinstall.
You are talking about the primary operating system right?
hose

Post by hose »

Perryg wrote:Like I said without knowing what happened or not it is impossible to determine what needs to be done.
Windows usually has a safety built in called system restore. Other than that and repair I do not know what you need to do other than reinstall.
You are talking about the primary operating system right?
Read carefully Perryg "Same problem with safe mode, after loading drivers I also get black screen".

So Windows loaded all system files in safe mode, everything goes futher, but I also got black screen.
Same situation with normal boot. "Starting Windows", I see animated logo, everything goes further and when I should see screen with user name etc. I just see black screen, nothing more."

I just installed VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe on my system (I am using only Windows 7 system).
I should install them on GUEST, not on my system (host). My mistake.

I extracted all files from VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe, I will try to connect my HDD to other computer, finding this files and deleting them from my disk.
Or maybe you can give me the list from installer with specified files\folders target dirs (I mean installator know where put files\folders while installing, so should have some list or something).

Or maybe any other solution?

EDIT

Finally I fixed startup.

I extracted files from installator (VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe).

I found driver (VBoxSF.sys) file in installer ($SYSDIR\$[37]\drivers).

So I started Windows 7 from CD, used Command Prompt, moved to C:\Program Files\system32\drivers, I listed all files there, I found a few VBox*.sys file, I deleted all (VBoxDrv.sys , VBoxMouse.sys , VBoxNetAdp.sys , VBoxNetFlt.sys , VBoxSF.sys , VBoxUSBMon.sys).

I deleted also dir Sun\VirtualBox Guest Additions.

After this action my laptop works fine, but I lost my mouse pointer (touchpad + USB mouse) :/

I copied VBoxMouse.sys back (to bring back my mouse control) to the System32\Drivers and I can use now USB Mouse, touchpad is still "dead" + KEYBOARD is now "dead". System starts/close SLOWLY.

EDIT 2

I deleted again (using Win 7 CD and Command Prompt) VBoxMouse.sys (which I copied again) from System32\Drivers.
I've got keyboard control (no mouse).
I installed again VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe, BUT WITH OPTION "I WILL REBOOT MANUALLY LATER" (last info from installer).
After that I used Control Panel/Programs to UNINSTALL VBox Windows Additions.
After that I rebooted my laptop, everything is now FINE.

:D
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I am glad that you got it going. Now do yourself a big favor and make sure that the system restore is activated.