Cmd+tab to change between applications

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Bern

Cmd+tab to change between applications

Post by Bern »

Under Mac OS host I really like to work in XP virtual machine in full screen mode.

And I really like to change quickly between apps via Cmd+tab, which is currently not possible. Or through Expose (which also seems to be disabled).

I would suggest to enable at least Cmd+tab and if possible Expose.

Is there any reason or advantange why both have been disabled?

Parallels, for example, chose to keep Cmd+tab in full screen mode and Expose.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm not sure what your Cmd+Tab is, but if it's switching to windows inside the VM, it's Alt+Tab. I think you mean to switch outside the VM to a different application.
Expose, is that that neet thing that shows a tumbnail of every program on your desktop and you click on it to go to that program?

For the key combination, use the Host key first then the switching key. It should do what you want it to do. It does that at least on my Ubuntu.

For Expose, I'm sure there is a reason for it.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Bern

Post by Bern »

Sasquatch -

thanks, your suggestions helped. The Host key is indeed the 'entry' for bringing Cmd+Tab to work to switch to to any other app outside the VM under Mac OS.

Your were partially correct on what Expose is. While Cmd+Tab gives you thumbnails of every open application to switch to it, Expose scales down all open windows to fit your screen. It basically is the difference between wanting to switch to a particular app and to particular open window (in case an app has several open windows).

While it your suggetions help I would nevertheless call on the developers to streamline the experience for Mac users - meaning to bring it to work without a 'trick' or work around and to have the keyboard working as in any other app under Mac OS. In detail:

a) enable Cmd+Tab to switch to different apps outside of the VM (again while your suggestion helps as work around, this little trick was enough for me to have to bother the forum on this

b) enable Expose. Currently, the situation on this is somewhat inconsistent because sometimes I can activate it with my mouse and the Mac OS feature of Active Screen Corners and sometimes I cannot.

c) enable predefined hot keys of Mac OS - which on my configuration include the Expose and the Dashboard.

I realized that pressing the Host key can be work around for all of these, but the situation is very much inconsistent. I encounter situations where I do not need to press it, where pressing it one time does the trick, then again I need to press it two times before the mouse gesture of the Mac OS hotkey are accepted. All these situations have happened.

I currently do not know why. I have worked now two minutes where everything seemed to be streamlined without having to press the Host key and now I am back to the 'mode' where the host key needs to be pressed before.
aquarius
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by aquarius »

I can understand your confusion. The little green hostkey indicator helps to understand when you are in which mode. (unfortunately only in windowed mode ... )

It also helps to define the host key away from left Cmd (=left apple). I like it on right Cmd, you could even use the enter key on numpad (or the small enter key between right Cmd and left/home on MacBook keyboards) This way you don't press the host key "accidently" as part of some key combination.

I encourage you to keep coming up with suggestions to discuss them here.
If you find a true bug or a concrete enhancement the FAQ tells you where to file a ticket.

aquarius
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Bern, I got the idea of expose right, I just didn't how to describe it. On Linux with Compiz Fusion, you have the same functionality called Scale.

As for the keys, I think a nice addition would be to define certain hotkeys that VB ignores and passes to the Host instead of let it be grabbed the Guest system, just like Ctrl+Alt+Del for Windows Hosts and Ctrl+Alt+Fx for Linux. The Host tend to grab those combinations before VB can send them to the Guest. These should be configurable.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
smaddox
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10

Re: Cmd+tab to change between applications

Post by smaddox »

Sasquatch,

Did the user definable hot-key feature ever get implemented? I was looking for a way to use CMD-Tab to switch apps without having to hit CMD twice (one to uncapture keyboard, one to switch). It would be nice if VBOX uncaptured on the key down-press, instead of the up-release.