Virtualbox host-only network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
endamaco
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux ubuntu

Virtualbox host-only network

Post by endamaco »

Hi everyone.. First of all i'm sorry for my english, maybe i'll do some grammatical's errors! :-)
So here's the problem:
I've windows vista home premium and I've installed VBox to run in a virtual machine linux ubuntu 9.04.
VBox has installed on my pc a new network: Virtualbox host-only network.. Windows Vista sees it as an unidentified network and it's set as public network, not private..
I needs to connect from Xbox 360 to the pc for the windows media center but this is not possible when this network is set on public so every time i've to set it to provate, and I say every time because every time i turne off the pc it returns on public..
So i'm thinking that i can disconnect my pc from this network and connect only when I need to connect to the internet with the virtual machine, but I'm not able to find the disconnect command from this network on Windows.. I can disconnesct from my Wi-Fi connection but i can't disconnect from that network..
I hope to have been understandable..
Thanks to everyone!
gtr02
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7 x86

Re: Virtualbox host-only network

Post by gtr02 »

Hi,

I am new to Vbox, coming from VMware. I'm having the same here here, both bridging and NAT is not working for me, here is my setup:

Vbox ver: 3.0.12
Host spec: Win7 x64 / Belkin N1 USB wireless
Guest: Win7 x86

On the host, it shows Virtualbox host-only network connectivity as: "Unidentified Network / No Network Access". In the Guest OS, it shows the adapter as "No Internet Access".

Ideas?

Thanks,
Pat
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

NAT should always work as long as the Host has internet access when the Guest is starting. Host only does not have access by default design.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I thought that bridged mode worked pretty much the same way in VBox, VMWare or VPC. The guest shares access to the physical NIC through a filter driver working with the NIC driver.
Bill
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

It does, but often people don't have their routers configured correctly, or have no router at all.
gtr02
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7 x86

Post by gtr02 »

Actually, your right, NAT does work, I can access the web on the Win7 guest machine, but the strange thing is, the Network and Sharing Center does not detect a network connection, anyone seeing this on Win7? Also, when I check the LAN status, it shows No Network Access, ideas?

I'm trying to get shared folders working btw the guest and host systems. :-(
mjgraf
Guest OSses: Windows XP, openSUSE

Post by mjgraf »

i believe I am experiencing the same issue.
Windows 7 create a multi-network connection with the virtualbox adapter having no network access (even though my VMs work perfectly).

The first problem I encountered was sharing my printers. I needed to disable file and printing sharing on the virtualbox adapter. Then all this worked perfectly.

The next issue that I have not solved, is that my wife seems to loose network connection for no reason. I either need to disable the virtualbox adapter and everything works again or she needs to log off and back on to her account. I find this odd, as my account on the same machine has not experienced this problem.

This seems to be a Windows 7 issue or a VirtualBox adapter misconfiguration.

Any ideas would be great.