Vbox 3.1.0: Error on Solaris guest boot - WinXP x64 host

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
rasta
Volunteer

Vbox 3.1.0: Error on Solaris guest boot - WinXP x64 host

Post by rasta »

I just imported a Solaris 10 u8 VM into Vbox 3.1.0 on a WinXP x64 host. The host has 4GB ram and a quad-core Xeon E5120 processor. The guest VM was made on a WinXP 32-bit host, and exported in ovf format. On the new x64 host, I am running the guest in 64-bit mode with VT-x enabled. When I boot the guest, I get this error:

WARNING: cpu0 failed to update microcode form version 0x0 to 0xcb.

If select one processor for the VM, I get the error once. If I select two processors, I get the error twice, with the second instance referencing cpu1. Is this normal? Besides the fact that my guest display will NOT resize automatically to fit the 1280x1024 display as it usually does, the guest seems to be running normally.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Re: Vbox 3.1.0: Error on Solaris guest boot - WinXP x64 host

Post by SSCBrian »

I've also noticed the resizing issue. Looks like 3.1.0 GA have broken resizing again.

The microcode update error appears to be normal. I seem to recall getting that ever since the 1.x days of VBox. May have gone away for awhile and come back though. I don't even look for that anymore, so not sure if it was ever "fixed" at any point. :-)
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

Thank you for the info, SSCB. I'll try adding my screen resolution to xorg.conf, as I used to do with older versions of Vbox, to see if that fixes the screen resizing issue on x64 hosts.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

A couple updates. My screen resizing now works again. All I did today was apply MS patches and reboot... Also, the microcode error doesn't come up today either. Dunno. Weird. :-0