Cannot use ISO image with VirtualBox 3.1.0

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
StefanP
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Cannot use ISO image with VirtualBox 3.1.0

Post by StefanP »

I have a problem using an ISO image with VBox 3.1.0 that has worked with previous versions (3.0.12) of VirtualBox.

Code: Select all

VBoxManage openmedium dvd XP-SP2.iso 
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 3.1.0
(C) 2005-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

ERROR: Could not open the medium '/data/XP-SP2.iso'.
VD: error VERR_VD_RAW_INVALID_HEADER opening image file '/data/XP-SP2.iso' (VERR_VD_RAW_INVALID_HEADER)
Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component Medium, interface IMedium, callee nsISupports
Context: "OpenDVDImage(Bstr(szFilenameAbs), ImageIdStr, dvdImage.asOutParam())" at line 1442 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Cannot use ISO image with VirtualBox 3.1.0

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm having no problems with attaching ISO files, so I think the image is bad and an additional check for that is now in place, or something happened to it like file corruption.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
StefanP

Post by StefanP »

I've checksummed the ISO image und compared it with copies of the image on other machines. This image works fine in VMware, KVM/QEMU. I've been using this image since the release of VirtualBox 2.0 and I never had any problems.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

Are you able to mount other ISO images OK?

So far, I've not had any issues with ISOs on 3.1.0.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

SSCBrian wrote:So far, I've not had any issues with ISOs on 3.1.0.
Likewise, and I've been using them a lot, all through the beta phase. And of course the guest additions come packaged as an ISO.

I agree with Sasquatch: most likely there is a incorrect field in the ISO header, and this new version of VBox detects it.

@stefanp: if for some reason you can't or don't want to download a replacement for this ISO, then perhaps you could repair the situation by using an ISO-tool to unpack and then repack this ISO, assuming of course that this tool is more forgiving than VBox.
mauritzius
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows, Ubuntu

Post by mauritzius »

Same problem for me. The image has been working fine in VirtualBox 3.0.10.
However, this image was converted from .nrg to .iso using nrg2iso, maybe this is the problem?

Edit: Just opened and resaved the image in isomaster, filesize reduced by about 15MB, but it is now working as it should!
StefanP

Post by StefanP »

Thanks for the hint to the isomaster tool. I opened the ISO image and saved it again. Now the image works! :D
prawlings
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by prawlings »

I've run into the same problem on Windows in that I'm unable to open ISO image files with VirtualBox 3.1.0. I have seen this on two different installs and one of my colleages has seen the same issue on his 3.1.0 installs. In all cases, the same ISO images work fine with earlier versions of VirtualBox. I haven't tried using ISO Master but just wanted to show that there may be a potential problem for some people using 3.1.0. that is not related to corrupt image files.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

prawlings wrote:is not related to corrupt image files.
How do you know? Have you run a strict format check on all of those ISO images, or identified a legal feature which VBox rejects? The fact that some programs (including older versions of VBox) don't do the same kind of validation does not prove that the ISO is ok.
grnxnm
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Win7/2008R2

Post by grnxnm »

We are also seeing this same issue with VirtualBox 3.1.0. Point the guest CD drive to an OS install .ISO file on the host (an OS install .ISO file from Microsoft whose MD5 hash verifies - so the .ISO file itself is indeed good) and VirtualBox 3.1.0 throws an error. We tested with this same ISO using VirtualBox 3.0.8 and it worked just fine.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but as far as I know, .ISO files don't contain any special .ISO-file-specific metadata (not to be confused with the metadata of the 9660/UDF/etc file system stored on the disc) as some previous users have suggested. They're just a raw sector-by-sector dump of the disc contents. I say this with a wee bit of knowledge on this subject, having written a shipping device driver which mounts .ISO files as virtual CD drives. There are other dumped-disc image formats which do have a format with their own specific metadata.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not saying that the ISO images have been corrupted, I'm suggesting that they may be technically illegal - and were so before the MD5 sum was calculated. Unless we know the reason for the failure then everything here is speculation: we have no strong evidence that VBox rejects fully legal ISO images, and in fact from the small number of complaints relative to the number of users I suspect the problem is not with VBox, it's with some errant ISO-generator.

As for an ISO being a raw dump of a CD or DVD - well of course, but the ISO 9660 specification defines headers with specific ranges for legal values in the fields in those headers, likewise with various extensions built on the original standard.

About the only way to resolve this would be to get an example of a "bad" ISO into the hands of the devteam - if someone could reference an ISO that could be downloaded from somewhere then that would help a lot.
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Post by MarkCranness »

I've looked at the code a while ago and saw that VirtualBox tests the filesize for an ISO (any RAW format actually) and insists that the filesize is a multiple of 512 bytes. If the filesize of your ISO files do not evenly divide by 512, that will be the source of the error.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

MarkCranness wrote:I've looked at the code a while ago and saw that VirtualBox tests the filesize for an ISO (any RAW format actually) and insists that the filesize is a multiple of 512 bytes. If the filesize of your ISO files do not evenly divide by 512, that will be the source of the error.
Hmm. Except that people are claiming that this is a new problem with 3.1.0, that didn't exist for example in 3.0.12 - unless there are multiple causes in play here, which is quite possible.
prawlings
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by prawlings »

mpack wrote:
prawlings wrote:is not related to corrupt image files.
How do you know? Have you run a strict format check on all of those ISO images, or identified a legal feature which VBox rejects? The fact that some programs (including older versions of VBox) don't do the same kind of validation does not prove that the ISO is ok.
I see the same problem trying to open the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file which I assume is entirely legal.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

mpack wrote:
MarkCranness wrote:I've looked at the code a while ago and saw that VirtualBox tests the filesize for an ISO (any RAW format actually) and insists that the filesize is a multiple of 512 bytes. If the filesize of your ISO files do not evenly divide by 512, that will be the source of the error.
Hmm. Except that people are claiming that this is a new problem with 3.1.0, that didn't exist for example in 3.0.12 - unless there are multiple causes in play here, which is quite possible.
Indeed, there do seem to be a LOT more reports of this with 3.1.0. Could just be random chance or mass panic, but more likely that something software related is going on somewhere. Interesting. Have you all tried uninstalling, re-downloading, and reinstalling VBox?