DXDiag D3D Tests Failing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
LWSwank
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win XP

DXDiag D3D Tests Failing

Post by LWSwank »

Hello, everyone. I'm having some trouble getting D3D to run in my VirtualBox. I'm using an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with a GeForce 9600M graphics card. VirtualBox is version 3.1.0, and I'm running WinXP in the box, patched to SP3.

I followed the instructions and booted Windows into Safe Mode and installed the Guest Additions, including the 3D support. I then reboot the XP VM and fire up DXDiag to run the D3D tests. The DX7 test fails like it's supposed to, but the DX8 and DX9 tests both fail, too, giving the following error message for each:

Test failed at step 6 (No hardware supported display modes found): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong here? If there's any further information I need to provide to try to find the problem, I'm happy to do so; just let me know what you'd like to see. Thanks for any help you can be on this!
pizzacake
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP

Re: DXDiag D3D Tests Failing

Post by pizzacake »

I got the same errors in v3.1.0 dx 7,8,9 failed. I reverted back to v3.0.12 and dx 8 and 9 pass the dxdiag test.
tb2571989
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 R2, Ubuntu 9.10, Ubuntu 10.10

Post by tb2571989 »

I've also had this problem when trying to run Halo:CE. One of my searches has brough my here, although I'm Using Xp host and XP guest. Same error, same problems.
Sasquatch wrote:Also, installing DirectX after the GA will break the 3D capabilities. DX is shipped with the GA if you install it in safe mode (in normal mode, the files will be replaced by Windows directly).
I've installed Halo and DX, then gone into safe mode and installed GA, no luck for me.
lshaner
Guest OSses: Solaris 10 Update 9

Post by lshaner »

I have the exact same issue with 3D support on Mac OS X 10.6.2 with Win XP guest and DirectX 8/9 features.
It doesn't work.

So is downgrading the guest additions the only supposed workaround to date?

Downgrading to 3.0.12 guest additions didn't work for me. I get the VirtualBox drop-down warning about incompatible guest additions and then dxdiag goes unresponsive.
SMG
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP2

Post by SMG »

Hi,

Did anyone find a solution for this? I have the same problems. I just installed the new VB on snow leopard 10.6.2 and all three D3D tests fail. I have not used VB before but I installed the guest additions via safe mode like in the manual and I also have even tried running the older guest addition like suggested in this thread but that did not work. Has anyone with the same problem found another solution to get D3D working?

Thanks!
Skywalker
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Skywalker »

I can confirm this issue,
All Direct3D tests fail at step 6 and several Games do not detect any 3D graphics card.
Iam using ArchLinux by the way, so this seems not to be a host system issue.

I reverted to version 3.0.12 and all dxdiag tests pass successfully and several games now detect a 3D graphics card.

I hope this get fixed soon.
msoulier

Post by msoulier »

I'm running 4.2.4, and I'm seeing the direct3d 7 tests failing. 8 and 9 work though.

Anyone know of a fix for this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

msoulier wrote:Anyone know of a fix for this?
RTFM usually works.
msoulier

Post by msoulier »

mpack wrote:
msoulier wrote:Anyone know of a fix for this?
RTFM usually works.
Yes, I RTFM, but I was hoping there might be a workaround for direct 7.

Thank you for the helpful reply.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

VirtualBox only supports Dx 8 and 9. Whether there would be a work around is probably not possible since VBox would not support that either. It might be possible if your PC CPU supported VT-d but I don't know of anyone that has a working instance of that either.