How to get Bridged Adapter working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
titan
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

How to get Bridged Adapter working

Post by titan »

I've downloaded the 3.1.0 r55467 release on for use on Vista and installed Ubuntu. Everything was great, except I wanted it to be on the same LAN as my host box. So I've bridged my Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter and switched the Adapter 1 be attached to the Bridged Adapter named "MAC Bridge Miniport"

After this didn't work I did some digging and using netsh did bridge set adapter 1 forcecompatmode=enable and bridge set adapter 2 forcecompatmode=enable, but it that didn't help.

Would somebody be able to walk me through the steps I should do in order to get a virtual box on the same LAN as my host box?

Thanks in advance.
lleon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 2008

Re: How to get Bridged Adapter working

Post by lleon »

Hi there, I have the same problem. I have VB installed on my win7, and a virtual machine with win 08. I need to connect my virtual machine to internet, in the same LAN of my host pc.
It's suposed to be configuring the ethernet adapter as Host-only, and make a bridge between my local connection and the VM connection, but it does not work.
Thanks in advance
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Post by MarkCranness »

@titan: AFAIK, You don't need to do any bridging setup of the host network adapters. Try undoing the Vista bridging and attaching the VM Bridged networking adapter to Intel Gigabit CT Desktop.
The VM is assigned an IP the same as a physical PC on your lan: either via DHCP from your router, or set static inside the VM in the usual way.

@lleon: Make sure you are using VirtualBox's Bridged networking. Host-only will not give you internet access (unless you manually bridge it on the host?)
titan
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by titan »

Thanks! That did the trick.
lleon
Guest OSses: Win 2008

Post by lleon »

Thanks, that's it. It works great.

Thanks a lot.
rexistance
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by rexistance »

for me it worked for a while on vbox version 3.0.12, windows xp sp2 host and windows XP sp3 guest, but after upgrading to 3.1 it stopped working.

i switched(dual boot) to MAC OS 10.5.8 imported the virtual disk, selected attached to bridge adapter and selected my card. still doesn't get IP automatically from the DHCP server.

i tried again on another pc a DELL optiplex 755, windows XP sp3 host, the same windows image as on the other tests(win xp sp3) no change to the physical drive in host windows, only selected attached to bridge adapter and selected the host network adapter, BUT STILL NO IP FROM DHCP SERVER :(

all the host have ip allocated from the dhcp server, but none of the guests receive any ip.
i thought it is the window xp sp3 image that i use so i booted a windows xp mini from hiren boot cd in the guest virtual machine, an the same result, no IP acquired :(

trough nat works both on windows XP sp2 and mac OS 10.5.8 host OS and the same win XP sp3 VM, but i want the virtual machine to be on the same subnet

if you need any information...i would gladly provide it to you.

any advice would be appreciated.

kind regards
Alecs
myalenti
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Solaris, widnows 7, opensol

Post by myalenti »

Same problem for me...

I've gone as far as...

Re-initializing TCP/IP in Netsh... no-go
Re-initializing Winsock in Netsh (thought it could be a corrupt stack).... no-go...
Re-installed network drivers ( i was grasping at that point)... still no-go...

So i've given up on 3.1 at this point, it has to be a bug...
The question now becomes whether i can get 3.0.12 to work in bridged mode...

However, i'd be glad to take a solution if someone can come up with one.

thanks!
myalenti

Post by myalenti »

I've just attempted to roll-back my installation to 3.0.10 and bridged networking remains damaged.

I'd rather not use vmware or Vrituall PC. Do any of the guru have any ideas?
MarkCranness
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2; Ubuntu 11.04; Windows 2000 Server; Windows XP

Post by MarkCranness »

I have had this happen with real live PCs: DHCP does not work.
The solution was:
  • Set the IP and subnet statically on the PC (in your case inside the VM).
  • Check internet connectivity.
  • Reset to using DHCP.
  • Reboot(?)
I think the problem was that DHCP uses UDP broadcasts and for some reason these start out funny, or not on the right subnet or something. Setting IP statically then reverting seemed to fix it. Or rebooting your router/modem. YMMV.
myalenti

Post by myalenti »

After much toil and sweat and tears, i am not so proud to say that i figured out what the problem was.

VPN clients. What a mess. Anyhow. Cisco was getting in the way. It was a very odd problem as i was even getting dhpc assigned addresses but beyond that could do nothing.

So if you bridged networking is acting too flaky for a moderate number of words, unistall/reinstall your vpn client.

In my case it was Cisco 5.0.x i'm sure nortel and juniper would be equally problematic.

I guess it makes good sense. Of everthing in the IP stack that was the only thing that i did not remove.

I finally tried it out of desperation (knowing that it does much with the Tcp/IP stack)(How did you think they can turn off access to your local lan)

Nuff said. Problem solved.
BTW. Not sure how this ended up being a problem to begin with. I suspect i might have done an upgrade while i had my VPN connected.

Who know?! I can't remember and now i 'm ready to sleep well.

Later!
Thanks