No USB mass storage Windows 7 HP Host Ubuntu guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
andrews240
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

No USB mass storage Windows 7 HP Host Ubuntu guest

Post by andrews240 »

Hello all,

Here is some background.

I have been running this same setup on Windows 7 RC 32 bit, most recently with VB 3.0.6, for many months now. The only difference is now I am using the retail version of Windows 7 Home Premiun 64 bit, and I installed VB 3.0.10 after the clean install of Windows. I exported my guest appliance, Ubuntu 9.04, from the RC host OS, and imported it to the new host OS install. I kept the RC on another partition to ease the transition as a fully operational second OS.

Now the problem, VB is no longer able to capture my external USB media card reader. It connects, and is recognized normally in the host OS. I re-added the filter for the device the same as I did previously, and upon connecting, the guest OS does not capture it and it remains available to the host. If I right-click the USB icon on the lower right of the VB window, I receive an error stating "Failed to attach the USB device Generic Mass Storage Device [0100] to the virtual machine Ubuntu9. USB device 'Mass Storage Device' with UUID {107e77c9-d1e7-4a38-8a00-48eca2d22fb4} is busy with a previous request. Please try again". When I reboot into the RC OS, the card reader is captured fine and with no errors.

The only things that I have tried so far is to remove and re-add the USB filter for the card reader, and of course research for other resolutions online, to no avail.

This operation worked, and continues to work without a hitch on the previous RC install, so I am at a loss for why it cease to work now. Any help resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
VB USB error.PNG
VB USB error.PNG (45.05 KiB) Viewed 10578 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: No USB mass storage Windows 7 HP Host Ubuntu guest

Post by Perryg »

Was this working in the same version of VirtualBox?

You can attempt a few things:

unplug the device and reboot the host.
plug the device in once you are sure the host is done loading all the drivers.
Verify that the host actually see the device.
start the guest and see if it shows up. You should hear the unplug and plug tones so listen closely.

Alternately you can activate the USB device in the guest settings but do not set a filter for it.
Start the guest and once it has finished loading them click the device tab and USB and select the device from there. See if this allows it to load.
andrews240

Post by andrews240 »

Thank you for the suggestion Perryg.

I never upgraded VB on the RC system from 3.0.6 because my philosophy is if it isn't broken, don't fix it. When I installed the new OS, I just downloaded and installed the latest from the VB website.

I tried your suggestion and it resulted in the same error as when choosing the device from the USB icon on the lower right of the VB screen, the exact same error. I did not get any sound from VB attempting to capture the device, but I did notice that the device state is listed as captured on the device>USB VB menu.

Any other advice? I would love to resolve this issue.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Sorry but if you followed my advise above that is all I know that can be done.

Please go to Bugtracker USB and look through the tickets. Add your name to one that matches your.

You will need to setup an account there as well as it is on a different system.
Please post your ticket number here as well as the results so others can see it.
andrews240

Post by andrews240 »

Hey Perryg,

I just noticed something that you may find interesting, related to this issue.

While using my Ubuntu guest OS on VB 3.1.0 today, I noticed that under the Devices>Floppy Device menu that my usb media card reader, the mass storage device in question, is listed and can be mounted and accessed in the guest OS as a floppy drive.

Now, this would be a great work-around if I only needed to access the FAT partition on my SD cards, but I also have an ext3 partition on the cards that I need access to. My primary use for the card reader is to mount SD cards through the Ubuntu guest, and use g-parted to format and repartition ext partitions. Mounting through Floppy Device does not allow this scenario.

Does this shed any light, or open any avenues for troubleshooting the original problem?

Thanks
andrews240

Post by andrews240 »

OK, last post for the night.

I found the root or my problem. The AMD USB filter driver that I installed for my MB was not allowing VB to capture the USB device. I removed that driver and VB could finally see the reader and install the driver.

Unfortunately, without the AMD driver, Windows BSODs as soon as VB loads the VB USB driver:

"A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within an allocated time"

I am at a loss for where to go from here. I am, however, open to suggestions.